Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinery or Chenery?

Hi all,

Over the weekend, I was able to open up a new branch on my family! But this has lead to a few questions.

Has any one ever heard of the name Chinery? Is it the same name as Chenery? I have found records which give both names for the same family.

For example; John Chinery's death cert if registered as Chenery, yet his daughter's marriage has her down as Betsey Chinery. The census always spells the families name as Chinery.

Thanks for any help,
    Tippin
    Families Intrested in
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Its very common for names to have spelling variations. In my own tree I have Mealing, Maling, Malen, Mailins, Mellins, Mellon and Mealins for members of the same family. There's no way of knowing the "proper" spelling as for centuries no one had needed to write it down!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I think it might be a Suffolk or Norfolk name as I remember one or two people of that name from my days living there, and I'm sure they are variations of the same name.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes, I associate it as a name with Norfolk origins.
        Both variations are now around as "different" names - also Chinnery and Chennery (with 2 n's). Suspect they all come from the same stem.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks,

I guess I will never know. I had never heard of the name before, so did'nt know which way to spell it. I think I will just 'adopt' one of the ways!

Oh, and I think you are right with East Anglican origions, there seems to be a fare few in Suffolk, where my ancestors are from.
          Families Intrested in
          Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

I usually take the most common spelling or the most modern but always note any differences.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I can confirm its a very common name in Suffolk.

Comment

A few in Australia as well.

Comment

And an undertaker in Hertfordshire as well.
                  ♥Viv in Herts♥

Researching Tucker in London/Australia. Cliff in U.S.A. Fuller, Eaton & Sa(u)nders in Bedfordshire. Turner, Morley, Blythe & Webb in Cambridgeshire/Suffolk. Want in Hertfordshire.

Comment

A coach company in Diss, Norfolk.
                    Those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music.

Comment

There was no real standardized spellings of surnames until the 19th century, so anyone tracing ancestors should always be on the lookout for different spellings. Names were often given orally (up to 90% of the popular did not read or write), and so it was often up to the person in authority to choose how he would spell it!

I once had a client whose name of PETTIFER had evolved from an old Northamptonshire family called PECKOVER!

Ros

Comment

Working...
                      X