Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are these 2 people one and the same person?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these 2 people one and the same person?

Apologies to those who may have read this on GR, but am trying to get as many thoughts on this as possible.

Sorry this is a bit long winded, but am going to try to give all the facts, and I would like anyones opinion on this.

My problem is my gr gr gr gr grandfather was Benjamin Critchett born c1776 died 1836 age 60years {london burial records} I also have inventory/probate taken on his death in 1836, so am sure that is the year he died. He lived from at least 1801 {year of his marriage} in the ST Pauls/Benets Hill Aldgate area of the city. On 2 of his childrens baptism records in 1815 and 1816 he is down as a leather seller, and his inventory also states he is part owner of the Post Office London directory {sold to Kellys upon his death} and a gentleman.

Then there is this Benjamin Critchett, an Inspector of letters for the Post Office in Central London who was a witness in many fraud and theft cases at the Old Bailey {Old Bailey online} He appears in no cases after 1835, and in one of the trials in 1835 states he has worked for the post office for 45 years. Yesterday I downloaded a will from TNA of a Henry Critchett from Westminster, written in 1795 hoping he may be related to my Critchetts.

This Henry leaves money/belongings to his nephews Michael, and Benjamin Critchett of the Post Office in Central London, it states both Michael and Benjamin are the sons of his brother John from Dunkeswell Devon. Henry also leaves money to his own wife Mary.

Last week a GR member made contact with me asking me was my Benjamin Critchett born 1776 Dunkeswell, as she had seen the baptism register of him and his brother michael born 1775, they were sons of John and Mary critchett

So I now know that the Benjamin critchett born c1776 in Dunkeswell Devon ended up in London working for the Post Office.

I also have the will of a Mary Critchett {a widow] from Benets Hill Doctors commons, London in 1821 {written in 1817} where she leaves most of her money and possesions to her nephew Benjamin Critchett Leatherseller. {In Benjamins inventory after his death it states he has the lease for Bennets Hill Doctors commons}.

So I have 2 questions ,is this Mary the widow of Henry?.... if she is then I have the connection......hurray!!!

And are Benjamin Critchett who was definetly a leather seller between 1815 and 1817, and Benjamin Critchett who works for the Post Office the same person? the only definite fact I have is that they are both born c1776. I can find no other reference to this letter inspector Benjamin other than the Old Bailey trials.

Please give me your thoughts on this....

Nicky
    Last edited by nickyinsunnysussex; 03-02-09, 12:51.

Oooh, sorry, my brain is aching! lol

I'll try reading that again later :D Bacause I can't take it in, I don't know if this helps, hinders or neither!

The Morning Chronicle (London, England), Monday, January 5, 1835; Issue 20392

Married on the 1st inst. at St. Margaret's, Westminster, Thomas, youngest son of Benjamin Critchett Esq., of His Majesty's General Post-office, London, to Lucy, daughter of the late Thomas Bartlett Esq., of Pimlico.

Comment

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, October 1, 1836; Issue 4353.

Deaths Column:

Suddenly, B Critchett Esq. of the Post Office London aged 61.

When was the London burial exactly?

Comment

Merry...... thank you thank you thank you, that IS him then Thomas and Lucy are my gr gr gr grandparents..... though I have seen their parish record {they married Jan 1st} it didn`t give that info..... Could you please give me the link to that ad....

thanks loads

Nicky

Comment

Oooh, *breathes sigh of relief*!!

I can't send you the link because I have access through my local library card, but I can send you the cuttings by email, if you send me your email address by personal message

Comment

Merry .... I ve just looked for the Benjamin Critchett death record, and seemed to have mislaid it, but it was Central London... St Pauls/ ST Faiths or suchlike.

thanks for all the info, but why would the death be in an Oxford journal?

Inventory after Benjamins death was taken on 24th November 1836, so would fit in with death date. His daughter Judith {also married to a Bartlett} contested with Benjamins widow Mary for his affects and money, she applied for that on 15th November 1836., so it does all tie in.

thank you

Nicky

Comment

Have PM`d you Merry.

Oh I`m a happy bunny..... I can now track the family back to Devon .

Thank you

Nicky

Comment

thanks for all the info, but why would the death be in an Oxford journal?
                No idea, but when you get the clipping (I've sent the whole deaths column) you will see that the deaths are from all over!

Comment

All received, did notice they were from all over.

thank you

Nicky

Comment

I have just been looking at the 1808 Post Office Annual Directory for London and noticed that on the cover page B Critchett is acknowledged.

Historical Directories
                    Robert

Comment

Robert...... Yes thank you, I think he was the owner for many years, it is on Ancestry for 1829. A keen eyed member on GR looked in to when it became Kellys directory, and once Mr .Kelly { i forgret his Christian names} became the owner he also held the title of His Majestys Inspector of Letters, so i wonder if the ownership and job title come hand in hand.

Also on Benjamins inventory where it states the Directory was sold to Mr Kelly upon Benjamins death for £300.00, it also says that at the time no monies had been received ...... so maybe i`m an Heiress to the Kellys/London Directory....lol..... do you think I shoud put in a claim?.....lol

Nicky

Comment

not sure if you've seen this already already on Google Books:

Parliamentary Papers - Google Book Search

you need page 38 onwards. It's Benjamin Critchley giving evidence to a Government Commission into management of the Post Office. I didn't read it all but it looks t o be a very in depth description of what the men working for him did.

EDIT TO ADD: there appears to be a couple of volumes to this one report so he doesn't actually show up on the first page that is numbered as 38. Keep scrolling down and it's the SECOND page 38
                        Last edited by samesizedfeet; 04-02-09, 01:51.
                        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Thanks for that Zoe...... just browsed through it, and saved it to read in depth later, seems very intresting, its hard to appreciate in this day and age, the amount of work involved in distribution and delivery, my Benjamin certainly seemed to know his stuff.

Thanks again
                          Nicky

Comment

Working...
                          X