Can you find Mary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you find Mary?

Mary Georgina Sampson born 1813 in Beverly Yorkshire married John Scott on 23 Mar 1836 in Leven Yorkshire. I have the announcement from the The Hull Packet newspaper although it said her name was Georgiana.

Her parents were George and Anna Sampson.

Mary disappears after her wedding. Can anyone find her?

I have found a death :

Deaths Sep 1857 Scott Mary Georgina St Martin in the F 1a 221

but I have no idea if it is her.
    Kit

Do you know where she was born or any other info? What was John's occupation? Just there are a lot of Mary Scotts on the 1851 census, and quite a few are married to John.

Comment

John was in the 53rd regiment at the time of his marriage and his father was the late FC Scott Esq. of Edinburgh. Not sure if that makes John born in Scotland.

Mary was born in Beverley, Yorkshire. Her father was rector at Leven, Yorkshire.
      Kit

Comment

John I compared the entry you found to FreeBMD. It looks like your Mary was Mary Gill aged 58 years.
        Kit

Comment

Hi Kit

I assume you have these?

Batch Number: C106581

EMILY SAMPSON - International Genealogical Index
          Gender: Female Christening: 07 MAY 1815 Saint Mary And Saint Nicholas, Beverley, Yorkshire, England

2. WILLIAM HENRY SAMPSON - International Genealogical Index
          Gender: Male Christening: 01 OCT 1816 Saint Mary And Saint Nicholas, Beverley, Yorkshire, England

3. AUGUSTA SAMPSON - International Genealogical Index
          Gender: Female Christening: 18 DEC 1817 Saint Mary And Saint Nicholas, Beverley, Yorkshire, England

4. MARY GEORGINA SAMPSON - International Genealogical Index
          Gender: Female Christening: 16 SEP 1813 Saint Mary And Saint Nicholas, Beverley, Yorkshire, England

And these

Batch Number: C107251

JOHN SAMPSON - International Genealogical Index
          Gender: Male Christening: 25 OCT 1819 Leven, Yorkshire, England

2. CHARLES SAMPSON - International Genealogical Index
          Gender: Male Christening: 30 APR 1823 Leven, Yorkshire, England

3. ELLEN SAMPSON - International Genealogical Index
          Gender: Female Christening: 18 JAN 1821 Leven, Yorkshire, England
          Jeanette
          Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

And these

Mary Henly 40
            Thomas Henly 15
            Anna Sampton 48
            Augusta Sampton 20
            Nicola Pratt 45
            Mary Carton 25
            Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 353; Book: 13; Civil Parish: Cheltenham; County: Gloucestershire; Enumeration District: 36; Folio: 59; Page: 30; Line: 23; GSU roll: 288767.

Ann Shew 55
            Ann Sampson 59
            Agusta Sampson 27
            John Patrickson 60
            Rachael Thrasher 36
            Martha Savory 34
            Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1973; Folio: 721; Page: 17; GSU roll: 87373-87374.

Ann Roberts 53
            Mary Pritchard 36
            Sarah Grinham 14
            Anna Sampson 73
            Charles Sampson 37
            RG9; Piece: 1801; Folio: 110; Page: 3; GSU roll: 542870.

Sorry I was unable to find Mary
            Jeanette

Comment

Just a bit of a theory about Mary though seeing as the rest of her family seem to be in Gloucestershire at one time or another

Marriages Jun 1851 (>99%)

******Barratt John Loughbro 15 177******
              Dakin Charles Reynolds Loughbro' 15 177
              Fouldes Rosetta Loughbro' 15 177
              Hatton George Thomas Loughbro' 15 177
              ******Scott Mary Loughboro' 15 177******
              Smith Ann Loughborough 15 177
              Wale Ann Loughbro' 15 177
              White Henry Loughbro' 15 177

John Barratt 36
              Mary Barratt 40
              Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1973; Folio: 385; Page: 1; GSU roll: 87373-87374.
              Jeanette

Comment

Jeanette yes I have seen the IGI records. But I haven't seen the Mary Scott marriage to John Barratt.

Thanks for finding that. I'll see if I can work out if its her.
                Kit

Comment

I traced Mary and Jphn Barratt through the census while I could. It appears Mary died after the 1891 and John after the 1881.

They lived alone the entire time except for one census. They had a niece with them but the name meant nothing to me and could be John's relation, if the Mary is, in fact, mine.
                  Kit

Comment

Yes, I tried the same Kit. I also wasn't 100% convinced because of the place of marriage....but you never know lol. Just thought I'd point it out. I also tried to follow Augusta and Charles forward without any success.

While looking for Charles in 1841 I found 2 possibles.

HO107; Piece 1229; Book: 13;Folio: 45; Page: 3;....in Beverley house of correction, occupation is soldier but says not born in county.

HO107; Piece 1078; Book: 12;Folio: 16; Page: 3;.....in a barracks in Croydon, occupation soldier, not born in county

So, I wonder if the whole family were in the military or married military men and moved abroad???

I can offer to look at the Leven marriage in the PRs for you to see if there is any more info
                    Jeanette

Comment

Thanks for the above Jeanette. I got your PM before I saw this.

Augusta married a Saint John Hewitt and she died in 1860 so you wouldn't have had much to trace.

I haven't tried Ellen or Charles yet and John died in the USA in 1850 as I found the death notice. No idea how or when he got there.

Their father George was a minister at Beverley and then at Leven so he didn't move around.

The Story family (mum, Anna's family) are quite hard to locate and this whole branch was discovered by accident as I was searching Anna's father George and he was mentioned in Augusta's wedding announcement. I then worked backwards from Augusta to work things out. I ended up with another twig to the tree.
                      Kit

Comment

Probably to the surprise of his reverend father, George, Charles Sampson traveled to California in 1849 to search for gold. Together with older brothers William and John Sampson, they helped to found a Gold Rush town callled Marysville. Charles apparently returned (briefly) to see his widowed mother Anna Story Sampson at least once before his accidental October 1861 death in California.

Comment

Hi Norm,

Welcome to FTF.

I got your PM. look forward to talking to you more.
                          Kit

Comment

Realize this is now an old thread but have recently confirmed Mary Georgina Scott (nee Sampson) and her husband John as having been in New Zealand in 1849. OH is descended from William Henry Sampson her brother so we have been filling in facts on his family for a while now.

Comment

Sampsons in New Zealand

Originally posted by Foehn View Post
                              Realize this is now an old thread but have recently confirmed Mary Georgina Scott (nee Sampson) and her husband John as having been in New Zealand in 1849. OH is descended from William Henry Sampson her brother so we have been filling in facts on his family for a while now.

At various times, three of rev. George Sampson's children (John, William and Charles) lived in New Zealand. At least William and Charles had children there, who in turn left a large number of descendants interested in genealogy. A "Mr. Scott" turns up frequently in the New Zealand research, so I think there is a good chance that Mary and her husband also spent time in New Zealand.

Comment

Working...
                              X