Another question!!....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another question!!....

One of my rellies fought in the 1st world war and received the Star Medal according to his war records on Ancestry. With his records there are two notes of correspondance. The first is from 1919 a Mr Tye/Fye making an application for his late stepsons 1914 star medal (haven't yet found a marriage for his mother to Mr Tye/Fye), why would he do this? The second is in 1928 from Mrs Tye/Fye enquiring about the disposal of medals! Why would she want to do this? Does anyone know if there is anywhere I can look/contact about this? Thank you
    Tessie

You could try asking the Imperial War Museum.
    Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

tessie

Do you mean his mother wanted to get rid of his medals?

This was more common than you might think! Many decorated soldiers and their families became extremely disillusioned with their treatment after the war.

All the "Hail the conquering hero" stuff came to absolutely nothing when the soldier's children were starving, or when their widows had to go out scrubbing to earn a crust. Even worse was the treatment (to my mind) of those who returned injured and unable to work - the jolly old workhouse was all that was offered them by a grateful government.

Many soldiers either sold their medals or sent them back. I can remember as a child seeing notices in pawn shop windows - "No more medals".

OC

Comment

Surely the reason why Mr Tye or Fye was applying for the 1914 Star was because his stepson had been killed in action and so couldn't apply for it himself?
        I have a feeling that if the correspondence still exists it will be in with the stepson's army records, which should be on ancestry if they do still exist.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

yes he was killed in action in 1916! His records are on ancestry which is how i know about the correspondance!

Comment

Do you want us to look for the remarriage of his mother?

If you do, what was her name and when did you last see her as Mrs X?? (ie her son's surname!!)

Comment

Well I can't find it on free bmd so was going to trawl through Ancestry starting tonight!
              I was also just interested as to why the stepfather applied for his medals then his mother wanting to dispose of them!
              Emma Minckley (maiden name) married Aaron Hatch, he died in 1906 and the only marriage I can find is to a Sydney Arthur Nobbs in 1907, I cannot find a 3rd marriage for her to Mr Fye/Tye!
              If you have some spare time to have a quick look I would be grateful! Back to work now so I will be back this evening!
              Thanks everyone!

Comment

It looks likely that the entry for Mr Tye has been mistranscribed on FreeBMD. There is an entry for Emma Hatch Sep 1907 Lincoln 7a 1184 and an entry for Ernest Tye in the same quarter, again Lincoln, but the third digit is hard to make out. It has been transcribed as 1134 on FreeBMD but I think it probably should be 1184. There are no other entries for page 1134 and there is a groom missing from 1184 (because there are two women listed but only one man!)
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I saw that and didnt understand it- thank you for shedding some light on that!
                  Tessie

Comment

Working...
                  X