Scotlands People?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotlands People?

I'm trying to find my Grandfather who I think may have been born in Scotland in 1912. I've never used Scotlands People before and the first time I went to search I thought it had the option for adding mother's maiden name, but it doesn't seem to be there now. :(

I'm confused and a bit frustrated as he had a really common name and I've not got much to go on other than I think my Dad had his father's mother's maiden name as his middle name.

I've not posted his name as I have no idea if he is alive or dead, I'd guess dead but I can't be sure.

Any help or advice gratefully received.

Clare
    Clare

Births only go up to 1906. I don't see anywhere to add Maiden name. If it was there, it's not now. I don't recall it being there though, unless you were looking at OPRs?

If you want a cert, you will need to contact the GROS - General Register Office for Scotland - Family Records - How to Order an Official Extract
    They should also be able to take the maiden name from you, to enable an easier search.
    Tracy

Comment

I thought I had results for births in 1911/12/13! Obviously not!

I don't even know if it is her maiden name, it is just a hunch I had from things I half remember from when I was younger and I thought it might rule things out.

I'm not sure what to do as if it isn't her maiden name I have no idea what to do
      Clare

Comment

If you call them and explain the situation, you may find them willing to help (for a fee of course lol)

Perhaps you were looking on Ancestry or FreeBMD for the birth? Although Ancestry has Scottish censuses, it only has England & Wales from the UK BMD records.

Do you know if he had any siblings who may be easier to trace? Some of mine with really common names had siblings with uncommon names so they were easier to track.
        Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by claretaylor22 View Post
          I thought I had results for births in 1911/12/13! Obviously not!

:
          Births are indexed from 1855-2006 but images are only available online from 1855-1908.

From SP;
          Statutory Births Index
          The statutory births index contains entries from the indexes to the civil registers of births for all Scotland, from 1855 until 2006.

The index does not include:
          - the full date of the event because only the year was captured when the indexes were compiled, although the full date is present on register entries themselves.
          -the parents' names, but these are present on register entries themselves.

Images of Statutory Births
          Images of statutory births from 1855 to 1908 are available to view on this site. A digital image is a scan of the microfiche copy of the original register page containing the entry in which you are interested. It therefore contains the same information you would normally see when looking at the actual record. Images are Crown copyright; however, they are not official copies. If you wish to have a certified, legally admissible copy of the specific register entry in which you are interested, you will need to order an extract. See Extract Orders

Extracts of births for post 1908 dates have to be ordered from the GROS
          Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 02-02-09, 21:34.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I know nothing at all other than his name and a rough idea when he was born and maybe his mothers maiden name. I'll have a chat to my mum when dad isn't around. I don't think she knows anything as he was never mentioned as my dad never knew him.
            Clare

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
              Births are indexed from 1855-2006 but images are only available online from 1855-1908.
              So it is. I'm sure last time I looked, the 100 year rule applied!
              I did look just now, and read 2006, but for some reason it registered as 1906 lol
              I blame the hormones and cold
              Tracy

Comment

I think I understand now. Thank you both.
                Clare

Comment

I've found my wife's birth (because I knew when and where), but I would need to spend a credit (which will show mother's maiden name) to get the details to apply for a certificate.

If yours is a common name and you are unsure of the year and county, you could get several hundred hits. However, it will only cost you 20p to view each batch of 25 hits, so you could see 30 pages of 25 (750 names) for £6, less than the cost of an English certificate. And if you were fortunate and came across a mother's maiden name match early on, it could cost you a lot less.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Clare, I don't think you are imagining things!!

There used to be a box to search for mother's maiden name and a help hint beside it warning that many mother's ms.'s had not yet been indexed, so even if you had entered her surname, you'd get results for all the births matching the person you entered, whether the mother was indexed or not.

It's a pest that they have got rid of this since they started showing the modern indexes beyond 1908. Even if you are in GRO in Edinburgh, their search facility never offered this option, nor could you search on county or parish which slowed me down quite a lot.

What they need to do is add the useful bits of the search facility on Scotland's People to the interface in register offices. And put the mother's ms. box back online!

Comment

Uncle John, I have bought credits to view the results but there still doesn't seem to be a miaden name listed. I can't view the original image as it isn't available as it is less than 100 years ago.

Is the system like England & Wales that they only list maiden name after a certain date?

Clare
                      Clare

Comment

I'm not sure about what dates are likely to have maiden names. I asked them once when I was up there. Modern ones do show this on the indexes in Register House and the rest are being gradually added in chunks. I've a funny feeling they are working backwards rather than starting at 1855 and coming forwards.

Send them a wee email and ask them, they are normally very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by claretaylor22 View Post
                          Uncle John, I have bought credits to view the results but there still doesn't seem to be a miaden name listed. I can't view the original image as it isn't available as it is less than 100 years ago.
                          Sorry if I misled you. It's some while since I did a birth search and I didn't have any credits left to test my statement.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I have put a slight update to the SP site review in the wiki to indicate the index dates coverage but with a note to say the images for later events cannot be downloaded directly from the site.

If anyone comes by the answer to date coverage re maiden names and let's me know i will add that to wiki information.
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                              Clare, I don't think you are imagining things!!

Even if you are in GRO in Edinburgh, their search facility never offered this option, nor could you search on county or parish which slowed me down quite a lot.
                              GallowayLass

The new system in Edinburgh, started about a month ago, the mothers maiden can now be searched, although only works after a (can't rem what date) it also use soundex and filter areas.

It easer to use than the SP site. It's slower than their old system at filtering years but the soundex makes up for it.

claretaylor22

Sending you a pm

Jan

Comment

Working...
                              X