Name changing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name changing

I have now three relatives in the 19 C who seemed to have changed their family names from the recorded birth name to the mother's married name. Did this require formal recognition (ie as in Deed poll today) and if so where was it recorded?

Thanks

Maurice

Anyone can call themselves what they like so long as it is not for fraudulent purposes. We can do it now and you could always do it. Deed Poll is just about having a piece of paper saying what you have done.

OH has a rellie who changed from being James Henry McQUOWN (spelt in many ways ) to James Henry McQuown MELLOR. All his children have the McQuown middle/extra name. We have no idea why!

Anne

Comment

I assume what happened is that mother remarried and the children took over their stepfather's surname. This was relatively common and didn't require any paperwork. It's only now that we are security-obsessed and where everyone has a driving licence, passport, bank account etc that we feel the need for "proof" of who we are.

My gt x 2 grandfather had 2 stepchildren. They have their own surname on 1st census with him, they both have his surname on 2nd census with him, one kept his name and one reverted to her original name when she married.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
      X