Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private schools

Hi everyone,

Been a while since I was on here, I was determined to take a break from genealogy to concentrate on my masters degree, but then they released the 1911....... ;)

OK, my question: is there any way of finding records from what appears to be a private school?

I had not been able to find my wife's great grandma, Annie Jones, prior to her marriage in 1889. I had her married on the 1901 as age 37 born Cambridge, and aged 29 born Cambridge in 1891. Her marriage cert shows her as 26, father William Jones (deceased) in Jan 1889.

Now the 1911 shows her as born Royston, Cambridgeshire and I thought it would throw some new light on the subject, BUT....... I cannot find anything close to a birth, but I have found a possible match on the 1871.

On the 1871 there is an Anne Jones, born Royston, Hertfordshire (Royston was on the Cambridgeshire/Hertfordshire border) in 1864, but she is a pupil aged 7 in what appears to be a school. Ancestry have her transcribed as Head, but this is a continuation from the previous page, besides how many 7 year olds were head of household?.

The 'school' was 3 Blomfield Terrace, Paddington, and the head of household was Esther L Burth, occupation 'Keeper of School' with a governess, 2 servants, a boarder and 11 female pupils.

Would this have been a proper school, and are there likely to be any records for it that would identify Anne's parents? I have searched for both the street and the governess but drew a blank.

If this is a fairly 'posh' private school it doesn't really fit with the rest of the family history (she married a sewerman, for instance), or her future career as a charwoman.

Any ideas anyone?

Pete
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

I thought the name Blomfield rang a bell, Blomfield Rd is on the canal near Little Venice, just been looking at it on google maps, there's a terrace on that road between Randolph Ave & Maida Vale/Edgeware road. Nice area, have walked that way along the canal, (but can't help re the school).

Comment

11 pupils would indicate a very small school and there was no compulsion for proprietors to keep records.
      Perhaps local directories would list the address of the school and name the owner. Also, sometimes there were adverts placed in local papers - these might give some indication of the fees charged and the curriculum offered.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

If she was 7 in 1871 her birth year would be abt 1864 which doesn't fit with later censuses and I hate to say it, but Annie Jones is a relatively common name.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

If she is 37 on the 1901 census then surely that fits exactly with her being 7 in 1871?
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The school was probably what was called a "Dame School". Unregulated, they could teach whatever they liked, or nothing at all!

Usually needlework, scripture, household management and the proprietor's own version of gentility, with a smattering of the 3 Rs.

OC

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far folks.

The ages on the various census and marriage certificate puts her birth anywhere between 1861 and 1864, with a bias towards the latter end.

I realise that Annie Jones is very common, however the Joneses don't seem to have colonised Royston as much as other places, there are very few of them there at all. I have looked at all the other Joneses and no one leaps off the page as obviously her father, although there are a couple of 'outside' chances.

It seems strange that there is no birth at all that fits, with a name like that I would have expected to have been spoilt for choice (a bit like my Curtis's, but that's another story!). I've even trawled through pages of index images, in case she was missed.

The 'Dame' school doesn't seem very likely considering the family background, I am now thinking even that it isn't her.
              Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
              Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
              Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
              Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
              Devine in Ireland

Comment

Try emailing Westminster Archives on the off chance they have some info on the school ( They are very helpful), before you disregard her, you never know!

Comment

Working...
                X