Searching Muir family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching Muir family

1820 settler to South Africa William Muire born 1796 in Roxburgh, Scotland, married to Mary Ann Winter is my gggggrandfather. I would like to know the names of his parents and birth/death dates. Trying to compile family tree I have most of his descendants.

try the latter day saints site ;) and put the name in. ldsfamilysearch

brenda xxx

Comment

Hi Selonki

Welcome to FTF.

With a surname like Muire/Muir in the borders i would suggest a membership to the Borders FHS would be worthwhile, there are several members researching that particular surname and even if they are not researching your particular branch it may be they have access to or have recorded a lot of information you may be able to use.

They also cover the adjoining counties, quite useful considering that Roxburghshire is quite small and in isn't too uncommon to find families travelled within the Border region.

Home - Borders Family History Society

ScotlandsPeople may have a record of the baptism but if the family were members of a non conformist church then there may not be a record, online sources of info are sometimes limited to the LDS website as previously mentioned and perhaps some of the one name study websites, currently freereg doesn't have much coverage for Roxburghshire and only one Muir entry at Crailing.

The archives moved quite recently to Hawick, while you may be able to ask them for a search there isn't a gaurantee of a result and their search fees can be quite high for a prolonged search hence my reference to the Borders FHS.

There are several links to websites relating to Scotland on our wiki page and by clicking on the county names there are also links to sites with a more local bias too.

Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 02-02-09, 20:01.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Does his marriage register entry tell you anything about his parents? Did he marry in Scotland or after emigrating to S Africa? If you do find a likely birth / baptism for him on FamilySearch or Scotland's People then you would still need some more evidence to confirm that it was the right one, for instance his father's will or info from the marriage entry.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

There is a submitted entry on the IGI, surname spelling is Muire but mother is recorded simply as Mrs Muir.

Within the county of Roxburghshire (sometimes refered to as Roxburgh) there are several small parishes, often with a population of 200 or less so if you can narrow the family to a particular parish you can often link several entries of the surname together.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen in Tinsel Knickers

Thanx for the info very useful

Selonki

Comment

I will have a look and see if there we have any old Borders FHS booklets in the house (my good lady used to be a member), if there are any with fellow Muir(e) researchers listed i will send the details to you in a private message.
              It might be a day or two before i can find them though.

Amother wiki page you might find useful i the future at some point is the Roxburghshire Places of Worship project, there are several images of many of the churches and chapels within the county, clicking a parish name takes you to a description of the building(s), the links in the text take you to the photographs, clicking on the thumbnail images takes you to a larger version of the picture you can copy for adding to your family research.

Places of Worship:Roxburghshire - Family Tree Forum

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen in Tinsel Knickers

thanks so much glen will try websites and waiting to here about your ladys book.

ps I am Lynette from South Africa...

Comment

Hi Glen
                  Do you perhaps know how I can find a list of grave/head stones in the Roxburgh Parish Church. Perhaps I can find William Muires parents names there seeing as there is probably no records for them as he was born and married before 1850.
                  Thx Selonki (Lynette)

Comment

Originally posted by Selonki View Post
                    Do you perhaps know how I can find a list of grave/head stones in the Roxburgh Parish Church. Perhaps I can find William Muires parents names there seeing as there is probably no records for them as he was born and married before 1850.
                    I'm sure Glen will correct me, but the town of Roxburgh ceased to exist hundreds of years ago. It was all to do with who controlled the River Tweed, and once Berwick moved into England all trade on the river ceased.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Selonki View Post
                      Hi Glen
                      Thx Selonki (Lynette)
                      Lynette

There is nothing online i'm afraid, the FHS have lists available to buy and they are also noted at the Borders archives, the problem of course is that it would mean some expense without a gaurantee of a result, but it might be worth registering with the Rootschat.com website and posting a request on the Roxburghshire board. There are a few members on there who have the monumental inscriptions listings and they offer lookups.

Even if you just finish up with a list of names and dates that seem unconnected the information is worth keeping for future reference.
                      I can't think of anything else to suggest at the moment except for searching the trees on Ancestry and Genes. We have to assume that William had siblings and if you can find any events around the same time in the right area again i would make a note of them for the future. If you chance across any references to wills or probate for the surname in the area then they are worth noting too.

I'm struggling to think of anything else to suggest at the moment.

Here on FTF we have a surnames database but there doesn't appear to be any Muir(e) entries that match the timeframe or area, although i have the surname in my tree i'm not sure where the early ones originate from other than Scotland around 1765, they lived in Berwick during the early/mid 1800's but it's a sidebranch i haven't looked at very closely.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

thx so much Glen will give it a bash

Lynette

Comment

there was a family in huntly scotland when i lived there ...brenda xxx

Comment

I forgot to mention another site that is well worth looking at too, though to get the best from it you might need to subscribe to Tier 2 level (£8 GBP for the year). Tier 1 is free but parts of the site are not available to Tier 1 members.

SCOTLANDS FAMILY TREE(The friendly forum!) :: Home

The site is primarily aimed at research in Scotland and there are quite a few experts in their particular fields who can advise you better than i can.
                            Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 03-02-09, 13:15.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Lynette, can I ask how you know when and where William was born, please? I see there are various records on the FamilySearch databases about this family but some of them are quite vague and might not be correct. They have William being born about 1796 Roxburgh and marrying a Mary Ann Winter, who was born about 1798 also in Roxburgh, the marriage being about 1816, place not specified. Then it seems they had a son William James Muire who was born in Maida Vale, London, in 1818, before going to South Africa where several more children were born.

There is an "extracted" record (i.e. taken from parish register or similar) on the IGI for William James Muire baptised 25 Dec 1818 at St Martin in the Fields, Westminster, London, parents William Muire and Mary. It might be worth you getting a copy of the full parish register entry to see what other details are given, i.e. place of residence and father's occupation.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

Kiterunner

Thx for the info on William Muires baptism records I will look into it. Does anyone have access to the IGI or do you have any ideas as to how I can get my hands on the parish register where this info originates from. His father William Muire was apparently a tailor, my info has been passed on to me by a family member also compiling our tree. William Muire and Mary Ann were 1820 british settlers that came over to south africa, which is where I live now. I would dearly like to find out the names of Williams parents and birth dates, according to LDS he is listed as William as well and his wife only as Mrs Muire.

thx for your help
                                Lynette (Selonki)

Comment

Lynnette

The IGI is a free resource funded by the LDS Church
                                  FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records

Click on Advanced search and select IGI.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Lynette, everyone has access to the IGI as it is online at the address posted by Uncle John. But as for the actual parish register entry, if you can get to an LDS Family History Centre then you should be able to order the microfilm of the parish register to view it.

Is there any way you can find out from the family member where he / she got their information from? I'm just wondering how certain we can be that William and Mary came from Roxburgh.
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                    X