Marriage cert.....suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage cert.....suggestions please

Some years ago, a friend started doing his family history but got stuck on his grandmother's line when he couldn't find a marriage for his grandparents searching for the names on his father's birth certificate. Relatives told him that his grandmother worked in the theatre and sometimes used other names.
    He's now found his grandparents on the 1911 census and they have been married for two years so searching freebmd, we found a marriage for his grandfather's name but he is the only name on the page. I would have to get this certificate if it was my family, wouldn't you?
    I think I've found the correct page number so which would be the best way to order it? GRO or the Register Office?

Neither of the bride's names match the birth cert but one has the same surname......SMITH, lol.
    Heather

Heather

As the reference number you have found is presumably from the GRO indexes, then you will have to order it from the GRO, as GRO ref numbers are useless to local ROs who have their own reference number systems.

OC

Comment

According to FreeBMD coverage charts 1908 - 1911 have all been transcribed which makes me think that, as there is only one name, the reference is wrong. Can you look at the actual image to check and if it is wrong put the correct one in the search box to see what names come up?

I think this should work but someone else might have a better suggestion
      Jackie

Comment

If you can post up the names that you have then it might be easier for us to help, Heather.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I don't understand how "but he is the only name on the page" yet, "Neither of the bride's names match"

????

Comment

Thanks for your help,

I think the page number should be 450 not 430 but when I look at the image I'm not sure......the middle number isn't like the other 3s on the page but not quite a 5.
            So, do you think he should order the cert with the page number 450 or would it be better to pay more and just state other details?
            Heather

Comment

Heather - can you give us the name, year and quarter?
              Elaine

Comment

Sorry, not trying to confuse you but I don't want to put names on the board because it isn't my family
                references on freebmd are
                Marriages Bedford march quarter 1909
                Volume 3b Page 450

grandfather's reference is page 430
                Heather

Comment

I will pm you.
                  Elaine

Comment

Merry..only one name with page 430 and three names on 450.

I knew I'd get in a tangle with this......flipping Smiths!!! lol.
                    Heather

Comment

Thanks Elaine.
                      Heather

Comment

The main drawback to ordering a marriage cert from the local reg office is that you usually have to quote the actual venue (church name) before they can search the register.

Each venue has a register so as an example if there were 20 venues (churches/chapels and reg office) there would be at least 20 registers to check, a busy venue can use a register in a very short time whereas a quiet venue may use the same register for several years.

That could mean there may be more than the 20 registers based on the above example and a local register office would likely refer you to the GRO for the cert as they would not be able to justify the time involved for the search.

Births and deaths are slightly different in the way the registers are compiled so given an approximate date and reg district those certs are easier to find and are more readily available from the local office.
                        Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 02-02-09, 15:11.
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                          That's true Glen, the Register office site does ask for the location.

My friend has other queries so I'll ask him to join this site.
                          Heather

Comment

There must be at least 20 churches in Bedford with marriage registers, I would have thought. Possibly nearer 50 in the early 1900s! If you do manage to narrow it down, Bedford register office is do-able (but not with snow falling!).
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks UJ. I can imagine it would be a huge task to search through those.
                              Heather

Comment

Working...
                              X