Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Security which comes installed on Laptops ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security which comes installed on Laptops ??

I seem to be having more problems with Laptops than I ever had with my PCs
    I now have a new Laptop a HP with Vista.
    As you know certain programmes come ready installed like Windows Defender and Norton .
    I have uninstalled Norton and have installed AVG and Zonealarm ,my pages seem to get slower and slower then it freezes completely ,usually when on Ancestry ??? whether thats coincidence or not I dont know .
    I am not doing anything on here I dont do on the PC so dont understand whats wrong.
    I have just turned off Windows Defender to see if its any quicker.
    Thanks a lot

Val, does that mean you won with 'that' retail company?

If it was brand new, why did you uninstall Norton?

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

First mistake was to uninstall Norton, properly configured I find it the most effective antivirus software available.
      Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

hi no this is a new Laptop I bought while waiting to sort something out about the other one , its a long story.
        I personally dont like Norton had lots of problems with it on my pcs it was only a trial offer anyway .

Comment

Val,
          there is a very important phrase I tell all my college students

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Your Laptop is new, the Norton on it would have been installed and checked

Researching:
          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

okay Trevor lesson learned lol but how do you know it aint broke ?? I used to find Norton missed things that AVG picked up.
            I'm sure it isnt a virus anyway I think its something to do with maybe the FTM programme I installed on it ? maybe it takes up too much space ???

Comment

Val, does it only go slow when you have FTM open?
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Check the security level on Zone Alarm. If it is set to High it will have a massive impact on performance.
                Let's re-arrange the deck-chairs

Comment

thanks Kite no it doesnt but it does do on Ancestry, the longer I am on there the slower it gets then it freezes and I try shut the page at the top right hand corner but it wont so I go to Task Manager and try and shut it from there but I get the message
                  Microsoft windows Internet Explorer is not responding ???? so I click on to see if it can give a solution but it never stops looking for one so I have to cancel that.
                  I did see in the book that comes with FTM it uses up a lot of space so thought maybe thats the cause ??
                  I am also getting a box come up saying my D
                  Drive is full???? yet when I look to see how much space I can free up its empty ??
                  Its probably a simple thing I have overlooked.
                  Or I am the simple thing that needs overlooking ????
                  I checked Zonealarm and they are set at medium is that right ?? thanks so much for trying to help

Comment

It won't be FTM that's causing the problem if it's happening when FTM isn't running. I'm not sure what that D drive thing means but it sounds as tho that could be part of the problem.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

nor am I kite LOL think I shall have to ring the tech guys ugh just hope they speak english ??

Comment

Difficult to diagnose without seeing what is happening.
                        New laptop: That says to me one hard drive divided into two partitions C: and D:
                        Partition D a small partition used only for back-ups of operating system and original manufacture installed programs.
                        Partition C: used for all other purposes.
                        Are you using the "back-up" partition for temp files or virtual memory etc.
                        Cheers
                        Guy

Comment

its so new Guy have only done one back up onto a disc ???

Comment

I was meaning the back-up now supplied on the hard-drive instead of being supplied with cds of operating system and programs.

What normally happens these days is a section of the hard drive is partitioned to hold the programs needed to return the computer to the "as bought" condition.

You did copy those emergency programs to CD didn't you?
                            If not I suggest you do that now.
                            Cheers
                            Guy

Comment

gulp ??? no Guy ,it didnt give me the option to .it actually says on the paperwork that it restores your system without discs ,includes a new system recovery feature that does not require CDs or DVDs

Comment

It sounds to me as though something is trying to write to the D drive when it shouldn't be, though?
                                KiteRunner

Comment

thats what I wondered but how do I stop it ?????

Comment

Hello Val - I've been reading your thread and wondered if when you uninstalled Norton you used thier "Uninstall tool". You can get it from Download and run the Norton Removal Tool where you download and run. There might be some more information on that web page which might help. I know I uninstalled Norton from my computer using this tool. I now use Avast (a free antivirus).

Just thought that if you hadnt used the tool and had a different antivirus installed there might be a bit of a conflict which could slow you down.

Hope this is of some help. If you used the uninstall tool, please forgive me jumping in.

Kind regards

Linda
                                    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Been having a look at the HP Site and they have a Support Forum - came across this section about recovery discs
                                      Start Here First Guide. Recommended Steps - Operating systems and software - HP Support Forums

Does Vista have the System Restore facility?

Hope you get this sorted out.

Kind regards - Linda
                                      Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

do you know what Linda you could be right , I will take a look thanks and will let you know

Comment

Working...
                                        X