Update to "last ditch grandparents" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update to "last ditch grandparents" thread

I know a few of you followed the thread and i mentioned a new contact, well today i have had a few photographs.

Annie Turner, taken in 1956

Annie again 1960,

Her son and my uncle, John (Jack) Townsend. Not sure what regiment this would be..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Lovely Glenn. I thnk I missed the end of the thread. Sounds like you solved the mystery though.
    Kit

Comment

Oooh well done Glen. I too must have missed the end of the other thread!

Doesn't her son look like her?!

Comment

I cracked one side of the family anyway, that of Annie but there will be a few years of hunting around to crack grandad.

In a nutshell i knew a little about Annie around the time my b/f and John (above) were born in the 1920's but nothing before and only rumours about later times.

The rumours were pretty close to the truth but my new contact has been able to tell me about her life from her birth in the late 1800's through to her death in 1970.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

but there will be a few years of hunting around to crack grandad.
          1921 census????!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
            1921 census????!!!!

Probably but all i have is his name, no idea of age or where he was born Pre 1920 it appears that they were both from Sheffield but in theory i should find them together in the 1921 in Lincoln.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Not sure I can keep my fingers crossed for 10 years, but I'll try! lol

Comment

Great Photos Glen, what a lovely uniform. So glad that you have moved forward

Buttercup

Comment

Just wondered Glenn. Can you see any family resemblence to yourself in these photos?
                  Pam

Comment

Originally posted by Pamdidle View Post
                    Just wondered Glenn. Can you see any family resemblence to yourself in these photos?
                    Annie doesn't appear to have any tattoos!

Comment

Not really but there is another picture of John and he looks quite a bit different

From roughly the same time there is a resemblance to Jimmy (see pic below) and folks who know Jimmy and have seen me say there is a likeness

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Thanks for sharing the photos Glen.
                        The uniform is very ornate, even for number ones. Some sort of special occasion, perhaps - any idea of a date?
                        Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                          Thanks for sharing the photos Glen.
                          The uniform is very ornate, even for number ones. Some sort of special occasion, perhaps - any idea of a date?
                          Jay
                          During the war apparently, he came out of the army in 1947, by all accounts a crack marksman and winner of several competitions, he finished up in Burma and India.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Looks like a ceremonial uniform, with all that braid and fancy epaulettes.
                            Please share, when you find out.

India became independent in August 1947 ?????

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I hope you don't mind Glen but I just did a very quick clean up on one of your photos to remind you what can be done by the experts on the Photo Restoration thread if you would like them too. I'm afraid I'm just a novice but they can do marvellous things. I didn't finish the bottom by the way. I don't normally leave them like that :o

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I forgot to mention that they will do various colours and hues too - i.e

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks Chrissie

I have quite a collection of pictures now, what started as just me and my daughter are now part of a collection spanning four generations on my paternal side and five on my maternal lines and includes assorted cousins, aunts, uncles and half siblings too.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Hi Glen
                                    So pleased that you now have some photos of Annie. Looking at her in later life it's hard to imagine that she had such a "colourful" past.
                                    Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                                      Hi Glen
                                      So pleased that you now have some photos of Annie. Looking at her in later life it's hard to imagine that she had such a "colourful" past.
                                      Moggie
                                      I probably posted the ones where she looks like a granny and not the ones where she looks like the sort of woman you would cross the street to avoid :D

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Chrissie could you add some tinsel so we can see if there truly is a resemblence? ;)
                                        Kit

Comment

Working...
                                        X