Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it still possible to purchase PRs on CDs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it still possible to purchase PRs on CDs?

I have so many ancestors to look for in one or two specific places, nearly all of them in the same village must be related to me :o

Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase the CDs for certain parishes, the proper images like the ones you get on fiche at the Records Offices not transcripts?

Thanks!

Joanie

Joan, usually they are transcripts. But you can sometimes buy copies of the microfiches from the record office.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Ok Kite that's interesting, thanks will make enquiries. I guess I could then use the reader in my local library?

Joanie

Comment

Joan

If you live near an LDS family history centre, you could do what I did.

I have an "ancestral village" - I'm related to every man jack in the place for the last 500 years, lol. I have the filmed parish register on permanent loan, think it was about £20?

Of course, it does mean I have to go to the centre to view it, but I couldn't see any alternative, as only a transcript is available on CD and that doesn't contain all the juicy marginal remarks, nor all the extra information at the front and back of the register.

OC

Comment

Hi OC

I didn't know you can get them on permanent loan? I had the one I am interested in on fiche at the LDS for 6 months, then they had to send it on as someone else requested it. Very annoying as like you I can almost connect all the names to my tree in it eventually lol!

I wouldn't mind purchasing the fiche for myself though as if I could take it to the library when I wanted that would be so much easier than the LDS.

Joanie

Comment

From Rootsweb list of CROs that sell copies of PRs. I also use local Family History Societies but they usually supply transcripts.

Bedfordshire

Comment

Glad to see people still use my website ;)
              Cheers
              Guy
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                Glad to see people still use my website ;)
                Cheers
                Guy
                I do!! :D
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks everyone have sent an email to the CRO in Aylesbury & hopefully will get a reply if their staff managed to get to work today!

Joanie

Comment

Working...
                  X