Surrey Kelly's Directory help, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surrey Kelly's Directory help, please

Does anyone have access to Kelly's Directory (or similar) for Surrey for any years between about 1895 and 1930? If so, a look-up would be very much appreciated, please. I'm trying to pin down Charles Harrison Price who was a photographer in Croydon, as a means of dating a photo. The address on the photo is 66a North End, but I know he wasn't there in 1901 (census), and in 1913 (Kelly's Directory on Historical Directories site) he was at 36 George Street. I've discovered there are no Surrey directories on Ancestry, and I've tried the various photo sites listed in the Wiki, so I've gone as far as I can.

Any help or other suggestions please?

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

I got a couple of Kellys on ebay
    Jan x

Comment

I have a feeling that Croydon is listed in London suburbs. I'll just check...
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It certainly seems as if some Croydon businesses are listed in the London directories (on Historical Directories website), but it would take a while to look through them to try to find him.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Have you tried the Phone Books on Ancestry? I would have thought a photographer would be likely to have a phone.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks for your comments.

Janet, I don't want to start buying directories for an area where I don't really have any connections, otherwise I'd take up the ebay idea.

Kite, I'll have a look in the London directories, I'm afraid I just assumed it would be Surrey (don't really know the south-east at all).

UJ, No I haven't tried the phone books - I'm off to look now.

scuda
            Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Scuda,

click on link, CHP is on there, if you want more info then you will need to contact the site owners, (as it states they have info about ALL photographers named on their site)

Photographers 1840 - 1940 Great Britain & Ireland ยป Photographers Pr
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

click on link, CHP is on there, if you want more info then you will need to contact the site owners,
                Right, thanks for the link, I think that's the only way to sort this one out. I've had no success with directories or phone books.

scuda

Comment

Working...
                X