Ancestry family tree...how many?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry family tree...how many?

Just registered with Ancestry, and want to start a family tree....however, I am researching 4 families, is it possible to create 4 family trees?

Yes you can. Not sure what the maximum number is but I have certainly seen some examples of where someone has 8 or 10 different trees!
    Elaine

Comment

Yes you can.

When you upload a new tree to Ancestry it doesn't overwrite the old one, just adds another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
        When you upload a new tree to Ancestry it doesn't overwrite the old one, just adds another one.
        .. which is why some people end up with 8 or 10 trees all basically the same!
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          .. which is why some people end up with 8 or 10 trees all basically the same!
          Yes Elaine

When I've uploaded a new tree to Ancestry in the past I've always deleted the old one first. What's the point of having an out of date tree on there. :(

I presume that people assume that a new upload will overwrite the old one, it does on most sites.

Comment

lol One of my relations has 4 trees on there which are basically the same. Gets slightly annoying when searching for rellies and their trees pop up all the time! Keep thinking there's a new contact, but it just turns out to be them again.
            Tracy

Comment

Guilty!! I have a few trees on Ancestry, but they are different branches. It means I can let people view the side they are interested in without giving them all my other branches as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Trina View Post
                Guilty!! I have a few trees on Ancestry, but they are different branches. It means I can let people view the side they are interested in without giving them all my other branches as well.
                That's different to what Elaine, Tracy and I were talking about though. That's fine. We mean when all the trees are from one person and they all hold the same info but slightly different when more has been added

Comment

Trina - you've nothing to feel guilty about. I'm talking about the same person on 5 different trees owned by the same person - along with all their family members, ancestors and relations lol

Having different trees for different branches is a good idea, especially if you're sharing them
                  Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by arroli View Post
                    Just registered with Ancestry, and want to start a family tree....however, I am researching 4 families, is it possible to create 4 family trees?
                    Hi, just checking - do you have your master tree(s) on your PC at home? If you don't, there's a risk that all your hard work can become corrupted or inaccessible.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

How do they get corrupted UJ?
                      Kit

Comment

Data on external sites can get corrupted. A recent example of this was for trees hosted on Genes Reunited. Although all dates looked OK when viewed on the Genes Reunited website, when a gedcom was downloaded on a lot of occasions dates presented themselves as 00/00/0000.

It is advisable to keep the master copy of your tree on your own computer in a family history software program. You update the program and then export gedcoms to external sites such as GR, Ancestry, Tribal Pages etc. when needed. Your data is totally under your control and can be backed up at regular intervals. If you lose any data then you only have yourself to blame!

Never rely on a 3rd party to keep your data safe!
                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                        X