X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 Merchant Shipping Movement Cards now on TNA Documents Online

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Merchant Shipping Movement Cards

Search is by ship name.

Now, if only I knew any relatives who were merchant seamen in WW2! I have a few in WW1...
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

That's helpful, Kite. I hadn't looked there for ages...

New things since 6 Nov 2008:
    Wills - 4 more (total now 1,016,166)
    Royal Marines Register of Service - 111,425
    Registry of Shipping and Seamen, Movement Cards - 12,640

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you, Kate, I've just found my grandfather's ship

Comment

Incidentally - the Ships Movements etc is not searchable by seamen's names:

You can search for cards by:
        * Ship Name
        * Former Ship Name
        * Gross Tonnage
        Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for that Kite. I didn't expect to find my grandfather's ship as he was in the Dutch merchant navy, part of the "lifeline" between Liverpool and America. But his ship is among these records too.
          Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
            Incidentally - the Ships Movements etc is not searchable by seamen's names:
            Christine
            That's right, I searched for the name of the ship my grandfather was on which I knew from the CWGC's site. The records give a detailed account of the position of the ship on nearly every day of its voyages. They also give details of any repairs carried out while in dock. The records for my grandfather's ship end with the sad entry 'Torpedoed 7/2' with the map reference and then 'sunk 7/2'.

Comment

What's the quality of your scan like Georgette? The one I downloaded is not very good - it's very pixellated.
              My grandfather's ship's records end in much the same way as yours, with the ship being torpedoed and sunk, and then some notes added afterwards when some of the survivors (including my grandfather) made it to shore.
              Sarah

Comment

That's a shame, Sarah, mine is a little blurry but otherwise fine. It doesn't say how many survivors there were, but I know there were only six and unfortunately my grandfather wasn't one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post
                  What's the quality of your scan like Georgette? The one I downloaded is not very good - it's very pixellated.
                  That sounds like something which should be reported back.

Christine

Comment

Sorry to hear about your grandfather Georgette. Mine survived but only after about a week at sea in a lifeboat, during which time some of the other crew died even after having survived the initial torpedo attack. They were eventually rescued by a Canadian ship. That part isn't mentioned in this download though. I know that from my grandfather's logbook, as well as an account of the attack in a Dutch book.

I agree Christine - I think I will report it back. Although I can make most of it out ok, it is a lot more blurry than other documents (wills & medal cards) I have downloaded from the National Archives.
                    Sarah

Comment

OH's father was a RN radio operator on merchant convoy ships. We have no idea of names of ships and he's no longer around to ask.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                        OH's father was a RN radio operator on merchant convoy ships. We have no idea of names of ships and he's no longer around to ask.
                        If his record (?"purse") is at TNA, you might get some ship-names.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                          If his record (?"purse") is at TNA, you might get some ship-names.
                          That's interesting. Where do I start looking for this particular needle please?

Comment

Try putting his name into their "Search the Catalogue", using BT as the reference to search. Some have been name indexed. If not, it means a trip to Kew, or I believe there is a project to digitise them, but not sure of date coverage - I'm sure the site must give details.
                            The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I've found it's BT 391/75, but the only person indexed with that name isn't him.

Comment

Working...
                              X