Really puzzled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really puzzled

This transcript has got me in knots. I only have this not the original as I'm out of credits.

I am sure that it should be Samuel Robert HALE not HALL as there is no marriage for a Samuel Robert Hall but there is one for a Hale which fits perfectly in Aston. Using the FreeBMD I got so excited about last night I found out her married an Eliza Hames, which would again make sense.

My educated guess was therefore is that Edith Hames is Eliza Hames sister, even though she is listed as a boarder. (It is the Hames that are part of my tree) I can't see Samuel as a Hall or a Hale on the 1901 Census, I cut off the where born part but they all have County of Warwick, Birmingham City, (which I am inclined to view sceptically).

My next puzzle is Sarah Hale, I think the surname is a coincidence as I can't find a Samuel Hale with Sarah Hale as a mother.

Sarah Hale is my GGGGrandmother and in 1901 she is living in Aston looking after lots of Hames (misrecorded as Hale) included in that is Edith, the boarder, who were her Grandchildren.

So my theory is that Sarah Hale is not Samuel's mother at all but Eliza's grandmother and they have Edith Hames another granddaughter and his sister in law lodging with them.

Then I realised that Eliza Hames isn't on the 1901 census with the other girls, in fact I think she died before 1901 and I can't find an Eliza Hames in 1901 who fits the age, ignoring the birth place all together.

Any suggestions welcomed as this has been going round in my head all night and I hardly slept!!

Thanks

Clare

PS yes this is all linked to my missing Aaron Hale yesterday!!
    Clare

Clare,
    Just looked at the 1901 entry for Sarah Hale b1841 and all the children are shown as nieces and nephews not grandchildren. Sarah is shown as married at that point but no husband with her. As you say they are recorded as Hale but only as a 'ditto' to Sarah and that is a common mistake.
    I'll have a look at Samuel Hale now and see what I can find.
    Margaret

Comment

On the 1891 census - RG12; Piece: 2416; Folio 75; Page 12 - Eliza Hames seems to be recorded as the grandaughter of Aaron and Sarah Hale. Sarah was born c1841 which would match the 1911 census.

.. that has confused me even more!
      Elaine

Comment

I am certain that Sarah is mine, Vauxhall Road is the hub of bothsides of the family at that time.

She is 60 in 1901 and children I am sure are her daughters, (also Sarah!!) who died in 1899, making them her Grandchildren not nieces and nephews.

Her husband Aaron is missing but that was yesterdays mystery, think I'm going to have to order a cert to clear that up.
        Clare

Comment

Off to check that Elaine.....
          Clare

Comment

That is them in 1891, I'm not sure why she isn't with her parents, but Granddaughter is right. Off to find her parents in 1891 now....
            Clare

Comment

On 1901 Sarah Hale is shown as born in Gloucester and I have now found her with Aaron in 1891 with Susannah age ?25 as daughter in law and Eliza Hames as granddaughter. There is a son William age 27 who is possibly the husband to Susannah. Have you already seen this? I didn't see your earlier thread
              Margaret

Comment

oops, Elaine beat me to it again

Comment

Class: RG12; Piece: 2381; Folio 34; Page 7;

This is her parents in 1891 with 2 daughters, the Edith is the one who turns up in 1911.

A couple of houses up there looks to be a Samuel with a son Samuel who is possibly about the right age to be the Samuel in 1911, not sure if it's Hale, Hales, or Holes though!

Am off to check deaths for Eliza Hames now as I had in my notes she was dead but I could well be wrong!
                  Clare

Comment

*blushes* I can't see a death for Eliza Hames after 1891 in Aston, so I'm not sure why I thought she was dead. Oooops.

I'm off to look again in 1901 for her....
                    Clare

Comment

Originally posted by claretaylor22 View Post
                      I can't see a death for Eliza Hames after 1891 in Aston, so I'm not sure why I thought she was dead. Oooops.
                      Now I am confused. I thought the Eliza Hames born 1887 (living with Aaron and Sarah Hale) was the one you thought had married Samuel Robert Hall/Hale (shown on the 1911 census).
                      Elaine

Comment

You are right Elaine, one of the flaws in my little theory is I can't find Eliza Hames in 1901, and I think when I last looked at this I had thought she was dead, now I think she is alive, well and marrying where is she in 1901?!

My guess is misrecorded or mistranscribed and working as a servant perhaps as home was a tight squeeze.

Clare
                        Clare

Comment

Working...
                        X