Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Packham

Hi

I'm helping someone do their tree and also seeing if there's a connection to my tree at the same time (we both have Sussex Packhams).

On the IGI, Thomas Packham married Lucy Addison in 1814 in Ringmer and Brighton, Sussex. He later married Mary Fryer in Brighton in 1848. On the latter record it says the father's name is Richard. There is a birth for a Thomas Peckham in Ringmer in 1788 with parents Richard and Elizabeth.

Now this is fair enough and I would probably came them with a little bit of hesitation, however, there are several people on the Ancestry family trees section with the same Thomas (same marriages/kids) but they have the parents as George and Jenny. They have then possibly used theweald.org to map George's ancesters back. Now I've contacted a couple of these people but I've not had a reply yet.

I cant find any evidence of George and Jenny personally. So am I right or are they?

Can anyone prove either way?

Cheers

James
    Hail Spode!

Well its entirely possible there were two Thomas Packhams, one with parents Richard & Elizabeth, and one with parents Jenny and George.

The answer will be in the parish baptism registers. Since your chap has named his father as Richard on his 2nd marriage, the Jenny & George chap can't be yours.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hmm, but the George, Jenny Thomas (according the the ancestry members' trees) had the same life as my Thomas marrying the same women and having the same children.

I take it the Sussex registers aren't online - that would be too easy wouldn't it. ;)

Trouble is I dont know when my Thomas was born, I just know when he was married.
      Hail Spode!

Comment

Sussex has a very good FH Group, and a Records Society - and some good material online. If you have a lot of family in that area, it might be worth joining - if only for a year or two!

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Many of the Sussex parish registers can be purchased on CD.

SFHG Publications - latest additions

Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I too have Sussex Packhams!!!!!

I've traced them back to the Clayton/Cuckfield/Hurstpierpoint area.

I do have Thomas' in my tree, although not for the period in question.

It would be interesting to see if we have a connection too

BTW Ancestry trees are only as accurate as the submitter's research, and I've found errors on the Sussex Weald web site before now too.

Most of the parish registers are held at the record office in Lewes if you can get there

Comment

Originally posted by guybrush View Post

Trouble is I dont know when my Thomas was born, I just know when he was married.
              According to Ancestry, in 1851 there were two Thomas Packhams married to a Mary, one born 1787 and one 1788.

The one married to a Lucy in 1841 has 1788 Ringmer as his year and place of birth in 1851.
              Gillian
              User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

My Packhams are listed on this site's names database Upload Your Gedcom
                Just put Packham in the surname box and press search.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I think I'll have to see if my friend will cough up the cash for the parish CDs. Trouble is, it's more me that's bothered as I want to find the connection :(

The Ringmer Thomas b.1788 is my one in the 1851 census, however, in 1841 his DOB is 1791

@Velma - My Packham is Judith b.1829 in Mayfield, Sussex, married to my gggg uncle (I think) William Taylor. She's on the weald website. I'll have to upload my gedcom here, I keep forgetting.
                  Hail Spode!

Comment

Ah, the Mayfield Packhams!

I've come across them before in my research and have yet to find a connection :(

I expect there's one if we were to go back far enough though...

Comment

Working...
                    X