Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finding a Will in Castle Combe in 1836/1837?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a Will in Castle Combe in 1836/1837?

A John Banks (1781 - 1836) married an Elizabeth Jones(1782 - 1837) on 2nd April 1804 in the Parish of Castle Combe.

Among their 13 children was a Jane Banks who married Isaac Pye Vowles before coming to Australia. (thank you to all who found out the information for me )

Family Lore says that Isaac was the gardener who went and married the daughter of the house against the parents wishes and that her father, John, promptly disinherited her.

Now John's occupation on the children's birth entries is Coal Carrier / Collier so i am not sure how much money their would have been.

Is their anywhere online that would have a copy of the will? probate? etc
    John died 9th October 1836 and Elizabeth on 12 October 1847 both still in the Parish of Castle Combe.

If I'm right in thinking Castle Combe is in Wiltshire (well, Google says it is!) then you can try this search:
    Wiltshire County Council - Wiltshire Archive Catalogue - Wiltshire Wills
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you, KiteRunner,

I've just been following the link but the closest i could find was an Elizabeth Banks in 1769 - way too early

Comment

You could also check on the Index to Death Duty Registers on findmypast to see if there is an entry or not - if they aren't on there then you won't find a will remember the year probate was granted may not be the same year they died when searching it)
        KiteRunner

Comment

have looked at the Index to the death duty registers and there are a couple of entries that might be possibles. I do have a voucher somewhere but can't find it at the moment!! and have to get ready to go out. i'll bookmark the page and thank you for that.

Could someone please kindly tell me what PCC stands for? eg;

ALL COURTS EXCLUDING PCC
          1836-1836 - ADMINISTRATIONS 3 images VIEW
          CANTERBURY PREROGATIVE COURT
          1836-1836 - ADMINISTRATIONS 3 images VIEW
          PCC AND COUNTRY COURTS
          1836-1836 - WILLS 1 image VIEW
          ALL COURTS EXCLUDING PCC
          1837-1837 - ADMINISTRATIONS 3 images VIEW
          1837-1837 - ADMINISTRATIONS 4 images VIEW
          PCC AND COUNTRY COURTS
          1837-1837 - WILLS 2 images VIEW
          ALL COURTS EXCLUDING PCC
          1838-1838 - ADMINISTRATIONS 3 images VIEW
          1838-1838 - ADMINISTRATIONS 3 images VIEW
          PCC AND COUNTRY COURTS
          1838-1838 - WILLS 1 image
          Last edited by Yvonne from Oz; 02-02-09, 00:08.

Comment

PCC stands for Prerogative Court of Canterbury and, in this case, relates to the highest court through which wills were proved before 1858. These are the wills that are available through The National Archives through "Documents Online".

I've looked at the Banks entries on the PCC indexes already, but couldn't see your family members, so you might need to check out the non-PCC wills on your list.

Comment

Merry - thank you for the information and the look - at least that eliminates the PCC entries.

Comment

Not really, because the list is for "PCC and Country Courts", and the "Country courts" wouldn't be included with the PCC wills on TNA site, so you would still need to check those pages anyway.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                X