Puzzled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puzzled

I'm filling in the bits of my tree that I've been a bit sketchy on - older cousins being the main part.

Currently, I'm looking at one particular set. I looked for one daughter, by using the surname and the mother's maiden name so I knew I'd be more likely to get a hit, and it came back with 2 names.

Now, both surnames aren't that common and together they're quite rare. I know one of the names is definitely my cousin. I went to her wedding, seen her kids etc.
    The other I've never heard of.

I've done a little digging and I think this person is alive today.

Question is, do I ask my mum about her, or just order the birth cert to check? I don't understand why she would have never been mentioned, given the fact I know of all my other cousins.

As an aside, I checked on GR and someone has her in their tree. If anyone can help me contact the person, please PM me. I'm trying to decide whether asking her about her birth parents would be a good idea or not lol

What do you all knowing, wise people think?
    Tracy

Have you checked to see if there is another marriage between those two surnames?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I would keep mum as far as mum is concerned, and order the certificate just to see what it says. Once you have that information you can decide the next step.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Kite, I thought I had got all the marriages for one of the surnames. I am doubting myself now though lol
        Tracy

Comment

Tracy I can contact the GR contact if you want. PM me the details.
          Kit

Comment

Thanks for the offer Kit. I have already taken someone up on it though.

I was just looking back at the index and noticed the reference for this 'other' person. It is 4 numbers then a letter. Does that mean something? I've never come across it before. If I order the cert, will I get what I'm after (the names of both her parents) or something else?
            Tracy

Comment

Have a look at this thread "Query regarding a birth record "
              Moggie

Comment

Thanks Moggie.

So it could be an adoption? That is interesting. I think I'm gonna have to order it just to satisfy my curiosity now lol
                Tracy

Comment

Have I missed something?
                  I'm trying to order the cert - from 1968 - via the GRO. It's asking for DOB, POB, and all parents names. Can I not order one for so recently? I'm sure I was able to order a marriage cert without all those details. Have things changed?
                  Form Errors
                  Date of birth must be given if birth occurred in last 50 years
                  Father's full name must be given if birth occurred in last 50 years
                  Mother's maiden surname and forename must be given if birth occurred in last 50 years
                  Grrr... What can I do now?
                  Last edited by Orangeblossom; 01-02-09, 14:50.
                  Tracy

Comment

are you ticking the box to say you have the index ref?

Comment

Yes Margaret.
                      Tracy

Comment

just tried that and it doesn't help

Comment

sorry got no more ideas.

Comment

Tracy, could you try getting it from the local Register Office rather than the GRO?
                            Elaine

Comment

Not sure Elaine. I've never done it that way before. How do I do it? lol
                              Tracy

Comment

Local offices all work differently.

You could, write enclosing a £7 cheque and SAE
                                you could phone or email.

Where is it?

Don't forget the GRO ref are of no use to them. I usually just quote the quarter and year plus any other info you have.

Comment

Thanks Margaret.
                                  The GRO have it listed as Dewsbury. Would I call them?
                                  I had a look on YorkshireBMD and it looks to be possibly under Derwent. Where is that? I didn't think it was anywhere near Dewsbury. That comes under the York office.
                                  Tracy

Comment

I think the problem is because the request is for a birth within the last 50 years.
                                    GRO and many offices have a restriction on such certificates ( because of identity fraud ) unless all facts are known.

Comment

Originally posted by Orangeblossom View Post
                                      Thanks Margaret.
                                      The GRO have it listed as Dewsbury. Would I call them?
                                      I had a look on YorkshireBMD and it looks to be possibly under Derwent. Where is that? I didn't think it was anywhere near Dewsbury. That comes under the York office.

The Register Office,
                                      Wellington Street,
                                      Dewsbury,
                                      WF13 1LY.
                                      Tel: 01924 324880. Fax: 01924 324882.
                                      E-mail: dewsbury.registrars@kirklees.gov.uk

Comment

Thanks Merry. I might give them a call tomorrow
                                        Tracy

Comment

Working...
                                        X