Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometimes the event sequence is a bit sad...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes the event sequence is a bit sad...

I thought I'd have a look at my paternal great aunts/uncles and their families - to see if there's any chance that there could be someone who knows about that part of the family.

I haven't got the certs to be definitive, but I reckon my grandfather's eldest sibling - his sister - had this timeline:

b 1871q4 Bolton
    bap 10 Jul 1872 Holy Trinity, Bolton le Moors
    1881 age 9, Aston, Warks
    1891 age 19, india rubber worker, Ladywood, Birmingham
    1901 age 29, Aston
    m1 ??? 1901q4 Aston John CLEWER - maybe (haven't anything concrete for this, other than name/place coincidences - and haven't found a death for John CLEWER in 1901-06, either)
    m2 1906q4 Aston Thomas MALLARD
    1908q1 Aston 1st son born
    1909q2 Aston 2nd son born
    1909q3 Aston 2nd son dies age 0
    1911 age 38, Small Heath, Aston
    1911q3 Aston 3rd son born
    1913q1 Aston 3rd son dies age 1
    1914q1 Aston 1st son dies age 6
    1914q3 Aston daughter born

I haven't managed to follow them any further yet. But it must have been desperately hard to have all three sons die so young.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

I found my MIL grandfather in NSW having a previous marriage unknown to any rellies. A big shock, even more shocking was the sad events that followed. Six children were to be born to the couple, five of whom died before their first birthday. One survived his name was Stanley but then the wife also died four months after the birth of her sixth child. She was only 29.(child 6 died at 7 mths). He went on to remarry some years later and had another nine children all healthy and lived long lives. All believing Stanley was some kind of orphan who was taken in by the family at a young age!!!!! MIL always understood uncle Stan wasnt a real uncle at all just some kind of foster kid. How bizarre that these tragedies were never spoken of. The first wife's death certificate states she died of Typhus. Either they were unbelievebly poor and all the kids died becuase of filth etc or maybe some genetic heart condition? Which luckily Stanley didnt inherit, who knows. Too many babies to buy death certs. for but maybe one day I will travel to BDMs and have a look. Very Sad. Perhaps your family Christine from Herts had some kind of congenital problem too.

Comment

Cowragirl sadly you can't look at the NSW BMD registers anymore.

If you want all the certs you can get transcriptions for about half the cost of a cert. I use Marilyn Rowan and find her very good. There are other transcription agents on the NSW site as well.

I find the deaths of small children the hardest thing about this hobby, it is so sad.
      Kit

Comment

I was looking through the death indexes for my great, great grandfather last night (unsuccessfully) and was struck by the number of infants listed. Of course, diseases such as diptheria and smallpox were rife in the 19th and early 20th centuries and the mortality rate was high. My mother came from a mining community and was one of seven, only 3 of whom made it to adulthood. On the other hand, my father came from a rural community and was one of ten who all survived.
        Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Lorry53 - that just shows what a dangerous thing industry is! ;)

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
            Lorry53 - that just shows what a dangerous thing industry is! ;)

Christine
            Exactly. More disease and a poorer diet. Give me the rural life any day!
            Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

I agree. Mortality rate much higher in my London lot, and my husband's London lot. Many certs show illnesses associated with poverty or lung problems, showing the pollution.

By contrast, his Welsh lot, apart from a few mining accidents, managed to live to a reasonable age and the majority of their children reached adulthood.

I do have a set of gt x 2 grandparents who had 3 sons within 3 years, all named William and only the third one survived.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nell

That's not the family from my favourite ever find on the census is it?

- Ancestry.co.uk
                Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Zoe
                  PMSL!
                  Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

*weeps with laughter*
                    Rose

Comment

Lmao! :d

Oo-er, I typed that in uppercase and used the clickable smiley, but it didn't seem to work.
                      Last edited by lorry53; 01-02-09, 19:55.

Comment

Lorry - you need an upper case D, not lower case, if you want a smiley.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                          Lorry - you need an upper case D, not lower case, if you want a smiley.

Christine
                          A lower case D should still give you the smiley, though it may not on this board. I originally typed an upper case one, but it defaulted to lower case and didn't work anyway. I then clicked on the smiley from the panel on the right to insert it, with the same result.

:D <----- trying again. Seems to work this time. Gotta love technology.

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
                            Nell

That's not the family from my favourite ever find on the census is it?

- Ancestry.co.uk

lolol!! On the previous census the first three Williams are called William and John and the other one of them is missing! The first Betsy is called Elizabeth. All of the children are called Magson as Wm and Betsy senr are not married - well, he is but she isn't! lol (she says she is his "assistant"!)

In 1901 Wm has a new wife, Harriet, and still has two Williams at home (numbered 2 an 3). His daughters are called Betsy, Dilly, Dolly and Masie!
                            Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 01-02-09, 22:33.

Comment

If they'd had a classical education, the children would have been Primus, Secundus, Tertius and so on.
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

an absolute crack-up. My son who rolls eyes when family history is mentioned.....cracked a smile and even chuckled. Following that naming pattern he would have been Thomas Numberthree Hill. LOL
                                "chasing dead rellies"
                                GO STORM

Comment

Working...
                                X