Missing Aaron Hale!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Aaron Hale!

Aaron Hale is my gg grandfather and although I have his birth and marriage I can't find his death at all.

He was born in 1859 in Gloucester and moved to Aston, Birmingham in the mid 1870's I think, I have got him on the census right up to 1911, it's his death that has stumped me.

I know he was alive in 1925 as he is on the electrol roll, I think he was alive in 1927 as a copy of his birth cert was obtained then and I know he was dead in 1941 as his wife died then.

There is a death in 1902 in Birmingham for an Aaron Hale but I think this is his father. As a slight aside if a woman is head of a house on the census and she puts herself down as married not widowed, but there is no male in the house, is it likely that her husband is still alive but just away, perhaps in hospital?

Clare
    Clare

Don't forget that electoral rolls were compiled annually and were often two years out of date when they were published! I got caught out like this when I found a relative in a trade directory in 1902. He actually died in 1900.

You really can't draw any definite conclusions from census information. Head of house may not have read the instructions properly and may have been anxious to ensure the enumerator that she had been legally married.

However, there is indeed the possibility that her husband was alive and was elsewhere that night, hospital, prison, on a train, staying with a mate, gone to New Zealand and so on!

OC

Comment

What about this one on FreeBMD?

Deaths Sep 1929

Hale Aaron 70 Dudley 6b 795

Comment

What about this one
        Aaron I M Hale, aged 78
        1938 1st quarter
        Birmingham 6d 349
        Elaine

Comment

Elaine that's it! I'd found the Dudley one and discounted it as it just didn't feel right. How did you find it?
          Clare

Comment

Searching the complete BMD index on Ancestry.

England & Wales Birth Marriage and Death Indexes 1837-2005 - Ancestry.co.uk

You need to search quarter by quarter, year by year. I started from 1941 and worked back, fortunately not too far!

That's another £7 to spend!
            Elaine

Comment

Working...
            X