Petty Sessions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petty Sessions

I discovered yesterday that William Cox, and his wife Mary, were fined on three separate occassions for opening their alehouse 'during prohibited hours'. It was so entertaining to find some 'naughtiness' that I never thought until about 6 o'clock this morning (when the Coxs were running around in my head:() - since I had a date when the offence occurred, would it have been worth looking at the Petty Sessions? I suppose there must have been some sort of enquiry/investigation/trial before they were issued the fine, and who would do the issuing?

On a roll with these Coxs, wish they were mine
    Rose

When and where was this? The relevant records office would have the details of the sessions and a local paper may have a report.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I think the fine would have been issued by the Justices of the Peace who presided over the Courts of Petty Session and dealt with criminal cases that were not sufficiently serious to warrant trial by jury, and also poor relief and licensing matters
      Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 31-01-09, 16:20.
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Was he William Cox, landlord of the Blue Man Inn, Newark, by any chance??

Hmmm......maybe not? (having looked at the 1881 census)

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
          Was he William Cox, landlord of the Blue Man Inn, Newark, by any chance??
          :( got a crystal ball??????

No, it wasn't him but the father of the OWNER of the Blue Man lol.

It was the Great Northern Tavern on Lincoln Road, Wm held the licence in November 1873 and April 1874 when he was fined 20/ each time. Then his widow, Mary, held the licence in June 1885 when she was fined 40/.

I found this info out from the licencing register at the RO yesterday.

Thank you Joan and Nell. That answers my query as to whether I should have thought about the Petty Sessions whilst at the RO:(. I will also go to Newark library and see if there is anything in the paper for the time.

I suppose there may be something is A2A but that is a foreign coutry to me.
          Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie Knees View Post
            :( got a crystal ball??????
            No! I looked on the Gedcom thing to see when/where he was born so I could then see where he was living and could then put his name and Newark into the Gale newspaper site.

Comment

and did Gale tell you anything?
              Rose

Comment

Only about the Blue Man William Cox!

The Hull Packet and East Riding Times (Hull, England), Friday, November 16, 1883; Issue 5171

Blue Man.jpg

Comment

ooooooo Merry! Thank you! :D:D

My Coxs were publicans and cattle dealers. I think this Wm is an ancestor but not a direct one, I need to go a bit sideways.

*hits print button*
                  Rose

Comment

Presumably they appear in historical directories, too, if they're publicans?

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

yes Christine, I've got one or two entries but hope to go to Newark library next week and browse the directories, and the papers lol
                      Rose

Comment

Working...
                      X