Blind Alley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blind Alley

I decided to order my paternal great grandparents' marriage certificate to see if it confirmed their fathers' names. Of course, I got a total surprise and discovered I'd been led up a blind alley by previous research. My great grandmother's father isn't shown, so I suspect she was illegitimate, but my great grandfather's father is shown as Jonathan Nickless (deceased). I've tried searching for him to no avail, so I was wondering if anyone here could give me some tips for finding him? My great grandparents were married in The Congregational Chapel, Welshpool in the district of Forden, Montgomeryshire & Salop on either 13th or 30th (the certificate has a correction which isn't too clear) Sept 1889 and their details are:

William Nickless, farm servant, aged 22 years (b. 1866/7 in Pontesbury) and Clara Pugh aged 23 years (b. 1865/6 in Shrewsbury). They were living in Rowley, Worthen and Jonathan was a general labourer.

Thanks.
    Last edited by lorry53; 31-01-09, 13:30.
    Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

I think I've found William on the 1881 England census but he isn't with his family as far as I can see. You probably have this already anyway, but just to save anybody else looking for him:

RG11; Piece: 2643; Folio: 95; Page: 11;
    Asterley, Pontesbury, Shropshire
    William Nicolas Servant Un 15 Farm Servant Salop Pontesbury
    (the farm belongs to an Evans family)
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hmm, I can't see a likely family in 1871 nor a likely death for Jonathan. I wonder whether it could be one of those cases where there has been a change of surname (e.g. William's mother remarried and William took his stepfather's surname) and the father's name on the marriage certificate has got muddled up.
      KiteRunner

Comment

One avenue you could try is looking at deaths of people called Jonathan in Atcham district between 1865 and 1889, get the surnames of the ones who look the right age to be William's father, then look on the 1871 census to see if there is a family of that name with a Jonathan and a William. Then look for a later marriage between William's mother and a Mr. Nickless / Nicolas.
        KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks for the info and the tips, KiteRunner. I hadn't found the 1881 census info due to the incorrect surname spelling and it's certainly possible that it's my great grandfather. I'll keep digging.
          Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Working...
          X