Knocksters Shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knocksters Shop?

This is the occupation on one of my 1911 returns, any suggestions?!

Clare
    Clare

Not for polite company! :o

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

LOL, I think thats something slightly different Chris.

Clare, what is the name of the person and other details? On the 1901 what are they doing?

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
        LOL, I think thats something slightly different Chris.
        I hope so, indeed! Otherwise it's just a tad brazen. ;)

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Maybe a huckster? Did they have shops, though?

Comment

She is Eliza Parrish, nee Smith, in 1891 she was an umbrella runner roller, I've not found her in 1901, she is 35 in 1911.
            Clare

Comment

Have you looked for variant spellings (and mistranscriptions) in 1901?

Whereabouts was she born? and where did she live? Do you have any other family-member names for the census crackers here???

Christine

Comment

Wonder if it was Knackers shop? (Stop laughing).

Sold horrible stuff like horsemeat etc.

Ancestry won't let me in.

OC

Comment

Horsemeat's a delicacy in many countries, I'll have you know.

Comment

*grabs FTF sick bucket*

Comment

Could it have been a shop where you could get things ''on the knock''? ie general store that you paid when you could?

I'd love a rellie that ran a knocking shop! anything but ag labs!
                      Jess

Comment

Does it say it on the actual image, or is it just the transcription?
                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I've got the image and I can see why knockersters shop has been transcribed, if some clever person can tell me how to put an excerpt on the post I'll try to see if anyone can come up with a better transcription!

The mum did think that we had rag and bone "men" in the family she said last night, but I'm sure the original says "shop" even if it isn't a knockersters shop!

I think the reason I've not found her in 1901 is that she is in Aston, Birmingham and she is lodging as her parents are dead so I've no idea who she'd be with. And FMP 1901 disn't cover Birmingham and since I've had Ancestry I've not looked, I'll have a go now and see if I find her. I've only found her in 1911 as she is with her spinster sister who I was actually looking for!!

Clare
                          Clare

Comment

Originally posted by claretaylor22 View Post
                            I've got the image and I can see why knockersters shop has been transcribed, if some clever person can tell me how to put an excerpt on the post I'll try to see if anyone can come up with a better transcription!
                            Clare, I have a great little screen grab utility that I use all the time. I'ts a free download and is called MWSnap You can grab a whole desktop, window or part of a window. Once you've saved the file, refer to the FAQ for uploading attachments or upload it to an image hosting site, such as Photobucket, or Imageshack if you prefer not to create an account at Photobucket. You can then copy the URL and use the Insert link or Insert image option on the post toolbar. Don't forget to credit the originating site.

As an aside, my dad's family lived in a village called Knockin and yes, you've guessed it, they have a Knockin Shop.
                            Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Thanks I'll try that now as Ancestry is down :(.

Knockin shop, lol!
                              Clare

Comment

Clare, if you need help with cropping scanned images and using photobucket to add images to your posts, there are some useful tips in the Reference/How To Section.
                                Reference Information and How to Guides - Family Tree Forum

One thing to remember is that we do not allow images of the full census page as it violates copyright - so you need to crop it.
                                Elaine

Comment

Hopefully this will work! Thank you lorry53 and Elaine for the help, I'd never have done that on my own!

All suggestions welcomed (!!) she is listed as working at home in case anyone wondered (lol!)
                                  Clare

Comment

Hopefully this is easier to read. Sorry for being so technophobic!
                                    Clare

Comment

I've found her in 1901 she is a shop keeper, (draper), not sure if that helps!
                                      Clare

Comment

Is it haberdashers? if she is a draper in 1901
                                        L

Comment

Working...
                                        X