Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tideswell - Help Pls

Hi Everyone

I'm new to this forum so dont know the "rules" but I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

My grandad was Arnold Tideswell born in June 1934 and unfortunately died in 1994.

His father was Ernest Tideswell and I thought his dob was 1869, but after looking at bmd, there's an Ernest born in 1868 Stoke On Trent and an Ernest Charles born in 1870 Stoke On Trent! These are the only 2 during a 5 year period.

His mother was Winifred Ashley and she was born circa 1915. I know this looks like a mistake but the 46 year age gap is apparently correct.

I had the above info from my grandads sister, but she won't give me any further info because she says it's more fun finding out for myself. But I'm a bit stuck with it.

I've managed to find a marriage for them:
    1932 Civil Marriage (Stoke & Wolstanton) Stoke-On-Trent SWRO/39A/039

But I can't afford to get a copy of the marriage certificate.

I've also found an Ernest in the 1871 census but can't confirm whether this is him or not:
    Father James E Tideswell aged 39
    Mother Thomas aged 36
    Children
    Victoria J aged 10
    Wallace aged 6
    Frank aged 5
    Ernest aged 15 months
    James 16
    Thomas 14

Can anybody help me at all?

Thanks in advance :D

I'm afraid that until you can afford the marriage certificate and perhaps one of the (edit) children's birth certificates you'll never know if you are tracing the correct family. You need to be certain of the bride and groom's father's names so you can go backwards with confidence.
    Last edited by Uncle John; 30-01-09, 20:02.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Totally agree with Uncle John. You need to get their marriage certificate to see what that says about the fathers names and then your next step would be to get the couple's birth certificates.
      Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

ok guys thanks anyway

Comment

Originally posted by jeeberella View Post

My grandad was Arnold Tideswell born in June 1934
          1933, actually

England & Wales, Birth Index: 1916-2005 - Ancestry.co.uk

As the others say, you'll need to get the marriage cert. It costs £7 if you order online from the GRO:

Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service

Alternatively, if you live anywhere near Lichfield or Stafford you could call in at the Records Office and see the entry in the marriage register yourself.

Comment

This should answer one of your questions:

Births Jun 1868
            TIDESWELL Ernest Charles Wolstanton 6b 170

Deaths Mar 1869
            Tideswell Ernest Charles 0 Wolstanton 6b 101

Births Mar 1870
            TIDESWELL Ernest Wolstanton 6b 140

Comment

This is probably Ernest's first marriage. He and Sarah Ann and a lot of children were together in the 1911 census.

Marriages Jun 1890
              Barton Sarah Ann Wolstanton 6b 167
              BURTON Sarah Ann Wolstanton 6b 167
              GATER William Wolstanton 6b 167
              TIDESWELL Ernest Wolstanton 6b 167
              Tudor Ann Wolstanton 6b 167

Comment

I had the above info from my grandads sister, but she won't give me any further info because she says it's more fun finding out for myself.
                That's a fair enough thing to say - but if you've found the marriage, she might have a copy of the cert? Especially if you can say when/where it was, so she knows she's not spoon-feeding you, just sparing you the cost of a cert.

Or, if she hasn't got a copy of the cert, she might be willing to tell you the info you would have got from one?

Christine

PS - welcome to the site!
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 30-01-09, 21:04.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It looks as though your grandfather had an older brother and a younger sister - is that right?

This may be why your auntie's being a bit cagey - the marriage was in the first quarter of 1932, and the older brother was born in the second quarter of the same year.

Comment

His father was Ernest Tideswell and I thought his dob was 1869, but after looking at bmd, there's an Ernest born in 1868 Stoke On Trent and an Ernest Charles born in 1870 Stoke On Trent! These are the only 2 during a 5 year period.
                    Did you have an actual DoB? or had you worked it out by arithmetic?

What I'm getting at is that anyone b April to March 1870 would appear to be 11 in 1881.
                    Anyone born near the end of 1869 might not be registered until early 1870. It's only marriages which are definitely registered in the same Q as they happen.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've just had a look on FreeBMD, as distinct from the Staffs BMD site.

The 1868 (Ernest Charles) birth was in Q2 of 1868 - so he would probably appear in censuses as b 1869.

The 1870 (Ernest) birth was in Q1 - so he would probably appear in censuses as b 1870 - but he might have been born Nov/Dec 1869.

Christine

Comment

Christine, I posted the births upthread - Ernest Charles died before the census.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                          Christine, I posted the births upthread - Ernest Charles died before the census.
                          Sorry - I must have lost the plot :o - I have been reading the posts, but you know once you get on a trail....

But the later one of the two looks a possible for a DoB in (late) 1869.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                          X