Nottingham Records Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nottingham Records Office

I met Kite Runner in Nottingham today and we went to the RO together (lovely to meet you Kate and thanks so much for all your help today:D)

OH is very excited about the details of that will we found and he even wants to do further research to see if there was a will left by his GF! I have never seen him so interested lol.

Off to the Wiki now to find out what 'married by Certificate' meant.
    Rose

Glad you had a good time Rosie.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Oh, I think I remember one of the reasons for marrying by certificate now - was it the Farndon marriage which said that? I think someone said that if a wedding took place at a church which didn't hold a service every week (i.e. a church with very few parishioners!) then it wouldn't be possible to have the banns read and so they would marry by certificate instead.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

No Kate, it was in St Mary's which is THE parish church for Newark. It was the marriage of Frederick William Cox, he of the will. OH and I have squinted at what is says under 'age' and we think it says 'minor'. He would have been 20 so would that have made him a minor? I know you didn't used to get the key of the door until 21.

Methinks I shall have to investigate the possibility of a will left by his dad, the money to buy a pub must have come from somewhere!
        Rose

Comment

Here's what Merry told us in December 2007

Marriage by licence means the bride and groom will have been issued a licence to marry by the bishop (or archbishop). Basically he will have asked them if they are legally "fit" to marry and accept their word......

Marriage by certificate - this is similar to the licence, but is a civil document issued by a registrar. The marriage can take place in a reg office or in a non-conformist church.

I've looked on the website for St Mary's but it doesn't say whether it was non conformist (I know nothing of such things lol)
          Rose

Comment

It certainly wouldn't be non-conformist as it was the main church. Yes, 20 was a "minor" in those days. Let me know if you want me to check for that will next time I pass the archives, Rose.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you Kate, I will ascertain DOD and let you know.

As a HUGE coincidence, there was a letter in yesterday's Newark Advertiser from someone in Cheltenham asking about descendants of Albert and Kate Andrews "...who ran the Great Northern Tavern on Lincoln road for many years at the start of the last century". In my research to find out when my Coxs were no longer there (kate, these were the naughty ones fined for opening out of hours lol) I found the Andrews on the 1901 census! The letter writer's mother married one of the Andrews' sons and there is some "interesting family memorabilia" he wants to pass on.

Needless to say I have written him a letter asking if there are any photos of the place and if he wouldn't mind copyin them for me.

Watch this space!!
              Rose

Comment

Working...
              X