litterell family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• litterell family

can anybody help me please i have the following from the 1851 worcestershire census.
    tallow hill area.#
    mary litterell head 74
    ellen litterell dau 40
    mary hadley ? 21
    charles litterell 7
    jane litterell 7
    walter evans nephew 11
    i have no idea the relationship of mary hadley or the twins to mary or ellen
    i cannot find any of the litterells on any other census.
    any help at all would be very gratefully recieved.
    thank you: :

With a name like that, they're very likely to be mis-transcribed.

Have you tried such things as searching for Liter*, or using Soundex?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Meganjayne

It looks as if Charles, Walter Jane are Ellen's children and Mary's grandchildren:

Mary, 70 widow, laundress
      Ellen 40 unmarried daughter
      Charles, son aged 17
      Jane daughter 7
      Walter son 11
      Mary Hartley visitor married aged 21.

Also not entirely sure the name is Littrell! Possibly should be Littell or Little.

OC

Comment

Freebmd only has one instance of the surname on an "all types" search, there must be some weird transcription error somewhere.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

In Ancestry they are transcribed as LITTRELL.

That's a fair interpretation, but, looking at the image it could also be LITHELL.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I too have looked at the image and I am NOT seeing Walter Evans, nephew, I am seeing Walter Littrell, son!

OC

Comment

There are 7 hits in 1851 for LITTRELL - and not many more for LITHELL

Neither name shows up in 1861 (as transcribed), nor 1871.

It does look as if you'll need to search for combinations of the first names plus ages., and places of birth.

Christine

Comment

I can do you a birth reg for Walter Cottrell in Q1 1841 and one for Jane Cotterell in 1844, both in Worcester District.

It's not helping much though.............

Comment

thank you everybody. i can clear up a couple of points.
                  walter was an evans, his mother was a mary [litterall, lythall[ i have it spelt both ways.
                  she died and he went to live with his aunt his mothers married name was evans,he had moved to birmingham by the time he got married.but i cannot find what happened to any of the rest of the family.

Comment

Working...
                  X