Query regarding a birth record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query regarding a birth record

I have found two birth dates from the 70s and after the page and volume there's some sort of code, numbers with a letter at the end.
    Can anyone advise me what this could be please?

Almost certainly a re-registration, correcting details on the birth cert. Maybe the parents married after the first registration and therefore legitimised the child.

The code will lead you to the quarter it was reregistered. It doesn't matter which one you order, you will only get the second certificate.

OC

Comment

How do I work that out OC, I have nine numbers and a letter?
      Or could it be because the children were adopted by a different man a few years later?

Comment

Yes, probably refers to the later adoption. PM me the details if you like and I will have a look.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC, sending it now.

Comment

Throwing this open to the rest of you - the original record is crossed through followed by 5 numbers and an S. The numbers are not identifiably a date.

OC

Comment

Can we be told the numbers without the name?

Comment

Merry

I can't see why not...

20849/s

I have tried to cross ref in 1984 but that doesn't work, and wouldn't of course if it was a subsequent adoption.

OC

Comment

Hmmmm.....never seen one like that before

Comment

I have seen some postings on the FreeBMD transcribers' mailing list asking about similar entries and the answer was probably something to do with adoption.
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

For instance:
                      RootsWeb: FreeBMD-Admins-L Re: 1920B3L0331
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks Ladies, very grateful for your help.

Comment

my step father was adopted and on his birth reg it does have a crossing out and then 4 numbers /s written there.

but if it says (see sept 72) then this is a reregistering of a birth for some reason ie parents later marry.

Comment

i was wondering if i sent of for my step fathers birth certificate would i only get his adoption cert or would i get the original

Comment

If you send off for the birth certificate, as I understand it you would get a copy of the birth certificate and it will say "adopted" on it. But hopefully someone who knows more about this can confirm that? I do know that if you order the birth certificate using his original name etc then they will not send you his adoption cert.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

thanx kiterunner, i will try and send for it

Comment

Oooh Hello I may be able to help. On the index next to my name is my NHS number. I think thats a bit worrying tbh!
                                  Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Working...
                                  X