Navy Pensioner on the 1881 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy Pensioner on the 1881 census

Hello, On the 1881 census Henry H Poppy age 62 born in Harwich is a Navy Pensioner. Can you please help find his naval records. I can't find any going back that far. So I know I must be looking in the wrong place :o
    Sheila
    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Sheila

Assuming your naval pensioner is Royal Navy and assuming at age 62 in 1881 he is joining navy around 1839 and certainly before 1860 then these records are at TNA that is the National Archives at Kew. You MAy find something online or you could write/email TNA to see if they can help you. I know they do charge for research but you may have to offset the charge against a trip to London or you might have a relative or a friend over here who may be able to help you. I have found Naval records of this era at Kew and they can be quite informative.

The National Archives

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 30-01-09, 13:15.

Comment

I can't see him either, Sheila. I'd hoped he was in ADM 29, which covers ratings pensions, but he's only there if misspelt.

But thank you! I checked the reference by doing a search and discovered a new record had been catalogued for one of my ancestors
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Janet, and Phoenix thank you very much for that. What with the monsoon rain here, I have not been able to get back to thank you Sorry
        Sheila
        I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Comment

Working...
        X