SEARCHING LONG WEB PAGES … a tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SEARCHING LONG WEB PAGES … a tip

I was being lucky and found a set of parish record transcriptions on line. Searching for relevant entries without a search facility involved a lot of scanning and ‘page downing’, so much so that I gave up. There had to be an easier way. Inspiration, on my laptop I have a ‘virtual printer’, a program that converts what’s on screen into a PDF. I use Novalite, but there are others, some of them free. Went back to the long web page, pressed Control and P to call up the print function, selected the PDF creator, and saved the file. I then opened the PDF with Adobe Reader and used the search facility in the latest version. Magic! I could search the umpteen PDF pages with a simple click.:p

Can't you just use CONTROL + F?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Or Edit and find

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
        Can't you just use CONTROL + F?

Yes, that's what I do Elizabeth. Use it a lot on the IGI.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Edit and find works for me also.

Comment

I use the highlighter in the google toolbar which highlights each word in the search terms in a different colour.
            Gillian
            User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Yes, Control + F does work if you know about it. I have been using PCs for umptyflump years but never before come across this particular short cut.

Comment

Working...
              X