Gayles Newspapers??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gayles Newspapers??

Forgive my ignorance but I saw a reference on another site to someone researching Regimental movements and this title was mentioned.
    I cant find it now..................can anyone enlighten me please.

It is the Gale Newspaper site, Alan.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC. Tried to put into Search engine and all I got was a reference to it on Rootschat. No direct link to Gales.

Comment

Alan - it is available via the Lancashire Library site using your library card.

If you are not already a member you can join here
        how to join a lancashire county library

The online newspapers that you can search are in the right hand column on this page and form part of the Gale Newpaper collection.
        Elaine

Comment

Just realised that the Wirral is probably not in Lancashire! :o
          It doesn´t matter you can still join even if you don´t live there!
          Elaine

Comment

This might be relevant:
            Wirral Libraries - Library Services

And this looks even more exciting! Gale Wirral Library member's access

lucky you!!
            Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Elaine,
              Your right, The Wirral is half Merseyside and Cheshire.
              I'm a member of local library so will take a look.
              Cheers.

Comment

It looks as if the Wirral libraries offer the same package - see Christine´s post above.
                Elaine

Comment

That's useful Christine.
                  Just tried to access the site but using my Library Card number, wouldnt let me in...........perhaps it's only available from Library PC

Comment

You should be able to get in with your card number. We have a similar system in Herts - but only for Times Digital Archive, not the full C19th set. I can access the TDA from my home computer via my Herts Library membership.

I'd ring the Library and check that your card number is of the right type. For instance, I should be able to use my card to book a computer at the library and to log on, but my number doesn't seem to work for either function. I'm hoping that it's just because it's older and needs updating.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine,
                      I'll check with Library to-morrow

Comment

If it's like Bedfordshire, you can use the online access to key in your card number and request a password, which in Beds. case they send out by post. That ensures you haven't just made up a number.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                        X