Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where was Lavender born?

1901 census: RG13 Piece 1630 Folio 25 Page 41

In the Bird household (top household) are Albert and Lavender Bryan (boarders). Any ideas about Lavender's place of birth please (transcribed as Radwinter, Essex). And Albert's occupation (sawyer ***paper works).

These lovebirds managed to produce 7 children in time for the 1911 census!
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Radwinter Essex - included in the Saffron Walden registration district.

Not sure about the occupation - possible Cor Paper Works ?? Corporation
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you very much Elaine. I should have trutsed the enumerator and Google mapped the name. A dot in the middle of nowhere!

I'll wait for more ideas about Albert's occupation.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
        I'll wait for more ideas about Albert's occupation.
        Very wise!
        Elaine

Comment

It looks as if it could be:

Cw
          Cor

"Works" has been abbreviated to "Wks", so it's reasonable to think that whatever it is is an abbreviation.

Other tempting possibilities disappear when you block out the tails of the loop of the P afterwards.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I think I'll just stick with sawyer in paper works. Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

If you decide you want to follow it up later, perhaps one of these will be useful:

Local History Unit - Enfield Council
              Local History of Enfield (Middlesex)
              Enfield Outer London through time | Local history overview for the District/Unitary Authority

I found these at the top of the list of hits for
              "local history" enfield
              Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine. He was born in Enfield (father was a gunmaker), but the couple were lodging in Walthamstow so the paper works could be anywhere in the East End of London. Their first three children were born in West Ham, Shoreditch and West Ham, but by 1905 when the 4th. child was born they had moved to Southall. Other siblings had also moved to Southall by then.

Comment

Working...
                X