England & Wales, Birth Index: 1916-2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England & Wales, Birth Index: 1916-2005

I apologise if this has already been posted. Ancestry have added a UK birth registration database 1916-2005 that can be searched rather than trawled through.
    Robert

Thanks for pointing that out - its certainly going to save a lot of time. I wonder if they're going to do the same with marriages and deaths?
    Jackie

Comment

What a great resource for them to add I was a bit worried when the births 1984 - 2005 vanished as I thought they were taking them off because people were saying they were against data protection.

I think I will be busy today ;)

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Ooooh fab! Maybe that's why it's been so slow the last few days lol

Wish I was at home so I could search it!
        Tracy

Comment

Robert - thank you!!!
          Gillian
          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I'd just noticed that on ancestry's home page and was about to post it up! Well, that changes my plans for the morning! And the afternoon...
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It probably isn't going to come as a great surprise to anybody that there are transcription errors, but I just thought I would point it out. For instance, I've spotted a district "Badwellty" (should be Bedwellty) and my uncle seems to be missing, not sure if he's been mistranscribed or left out (no, I'll let ancestry off there - it's the GRO's mistake!).

It doesn't seem to show mother's maiden name on the list of results, but if you "hover" your cursor on "view record" it will come up. Of course you can specify MMN in your search in the first place.
              Last edited by KiteRunner; 29-01-09, 09:39.
              KiteRunner

Comment

Ooh thanks for that - think I might be busy this afternoon!

Just found my mother on there - registered in 1966!
                She was actually born in 1914 but when she tried to get a passport it transpired that her birth had never been registered. I remember the problems we had trying to get her registration accepted as she had no evidence of baptism and the church records had been destroyed. They finally accepted a sworn statement from one of her elderly aunts who said she had been present at the birth! (Not too sure if she was or not! :o)
                Elaine

Comment

Ooh thanks Robert, have just found a cousin on there, that died on The Herald of Free Enterprise, now i may have an idea when his mum married.
                  Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                  Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                  Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Oooh this is great - thanks Robert!

Another small glitch:

For some periods registration districts have the wrong assumed county (probably just that they have missed including the correct county when listing all the potential ones with a certain Volume number)

ie Bournemouth has been in Dorset since 1974. I have got used to Ancestry insisting it's been in Hampshire forever (as it was before 1974) but for 1940-1942ish Ancestry say Bournemouth is not in Hampshire either, but in Sussex or the Isle of White! So, be careful if you enter an assumed county.

Comment

Kite - thank you. I hadn't spotted that!

I was puzzled to see a Bristol 1950 birth listed under the county of Avon which didn't exist in 1950 as far as I know, doesn't exist now, and doesn't appear in the dropdown list of county options.
                      Gillian

Comment

Gillian....................I don't think Bristol has ever known where it belonged.....lol

I have four NC certs for Bristol between 1791 and 1822.

Bristol is in........Avon, Bristol, Somerset and Gloucestershire.

Comment

Thank you Robert,
                          That's going to save a lot of trawling
                          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I was surprised to see that my mother was supposedly born in Wiltshire, when she was really born in Dorset!
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                              Gillian....................I don't think Bristol has ever known where it belonged.....lol

I have four NC certs for Bristol between 1791 and 1822.

Bristol is in........Avon, Bristol, Somerset and Gloucestershire.
                              lol Libby - I suppose the moral of these stories is to leave the county blank on the search page!
                              Gillian

Comment

Something that is really useful if you're researching a relatively rare surname is that you can search this database on mother's maiden name alone.
                                KiteRunner

Comment

I'm gonna be busy this weekend lol

Had a sneeky peek (naughty me!) and can't wait till I get home so I can search more. So many people to add to my tree and correct! Thankfully, I have rare names in my tree, so I can type them in and pretty much figure they're all related somewhere along the line lol
                                  Tracy

Comment

Oh dear, I just got the boy with the noose.
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                      Oh dear, I just got the boy with the noose.
                                      Me too :o
                                      Think I broke it lol
                                      Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                        I was surprised to see that my mother was supposedly born in Wiltshire, when she was really born in Dorset!
                                        Wiltshire is obviously a large county my brother-in -law comes up as regn district Essex SW in Wiltshire! :D
                                        Robert

Comment

Working...
                                        X