Has anyone....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone....

Researched their property and discovered a fascinating history... ??

No sorry - mine was a new build - the properties I was interested in have been knocked down years ago and there doesn't seem to be any reference to them anywhere.

I do have the book by Anthony Adolph "Tracing your Home's History" by Collins but haven't read it yet.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Ditto

But it's amazing what people don't notice about their neighbourhood. i did a display based on Lloyd George's Domesday for a local street, with pubs & shops highlighted. In 1911, the road had 4 pubs, now there's just two. One woman was staring at the map, confused. When you walk down the road, you can see that a block of flats on the corner looks suspiciously like a victorian pub.....
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

My house was built, on the edge of fields, back in the late 1970s and I bought from the first owner. The fact it was less than 2 minutes walk from open countryside was what attracted me to it! I have met many people who remember this particular field before this estate was built.

The land was part of a fairly grand estate and the original house is just a stones throw from me and still surrounded, on three sides by fields.

Living in a market town the main house has it's history well documented in the local museum but I have always wondered whether there are other stories to tell?....One day I may get the time away from my own research to investigate further
        Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Nope mine is an Army married Quarter, not very intersting!! Think it was all fields before the houses were built in the 50s..

Jules x

Researching/ MADGWICK, RAMUS, PONT, MITCHELL, CHAMPION, GOSSLING, VAN STAADEN.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

You're right Phoenix, the evidence of an area's history is all around. If I walk down a high street, I'm more interested in the architecture of the property above the shop fronts then what's in them :o :D

Hopefully someone with experience of this will respond...

Comment

My house is only 1960s, built on the edge of a town on what was farmland.
              My sister in Hampshire wants me to help research her house, built in the grounds of a long-ago abbey.

I once borrowed a book from the library, ...A Commoners Cottage'
              It is a history of a property near Dorking, Surrey, but more than that. There are wonderful illustrations of local happenings, plants etc as well as researched history of the owners and occupants.
              A fascinating book.

Comment

Our house was built in 1985 in what was once a farmer's field. I don't think there would be much history to find about it!
                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I started to research the area I live in and was fascinated, there are pointers to the past allover and sometimes it seems like only I know, yet I don't come from around here!

Comment

I have always lived in flats in London since I was born interspersed with time in Berkshire with relatives.

So not much history there other than more poor folk before us. Although I can see my bedroom window from where I am now and the flat I lived in when I was 2 years old until I was 12.

My grandmother moved to that flat just after WWI having been bombed out of 4 houses in 3 years. I lived with her.

Sorry most of my ancestors came from very poor backgrounds from Norfolk, Staffordshire and Northamptonshire and a few from France to end up in Clerkernwell, Hoxton, Spitalfields, Shoreditch and Bethnal Green.

They lived in houses long gone - either bombed out in the WWII or knocked down to clear the slums some of those type of houses remain though by sheer luck I think.

Saved by private landlords in the 60’s and divided into flats or the borough council and then some were only saved by the recent boom and the quest of the yuppies to have nice town houses in London close to the city so were reclaimed and now cost 100’s of thousands if not millions.

But its amazing how much has gone even from what I remember as a child.

And as Phoenix said about her area/street a lot of pubs that were once here are now flats or art studios and surprisingly old flats and old factories are now wine bars, clubs or restaurants.

Its weird.

I expect in more rural villages or in some pockets of London some history of working class dwellings/ buildings remain.

I expect especially in the coal mining areas and probably more in the north of England and in Wales properties remain but for the most part the amount of people that have been through the properties in this area of London and the devastation wreaked upon it in WWII it would be hard to tell.

But I can imagine the history of some of the properties that remain having my ancestors living here from the 1841 census onwards.
                    Last edited by Guest; 29-01-09, 17:03.

Comment

*thinks that Velma is fishing for stories for the magazine again* ;)

Comment

Shhhhhhhh!!!!! ;)

Comment

Margaret - please don't frighten the horses!

This estate was built in the 1970s on the site of Laxtons fruit tree nursery. Some of the original trees appear to have survived in the green spaces.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The house I grew up in all my live until I left home is now 200+ years old. It is a town house in a Devon town, and it was a large semi-detached house with the mirror image next door, with an extension added. We had 5 floors! The children's bedrooms (3) were on the fourth floor. The bathroom and kitchen were added later. The original kitchen was in the basement.

We have two prints (not originals) from the local museum showing the town (Honiton Devon) in which the house is clearly visible. They are roughly the 1840s-1850s as it is very clear that it was before the railway and the station came to the town.

My parents bought the house in 1950 just before I was born, as a temporary measure as I was the third (and last!) child. My mother moved out in 1979 as it was by then far too big for her. We know that at one stage a doctor lived there.

I haven't been inside since then.
                            Elizabeth
                            Research Interests:
                            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

The house I was born and brought up in has its roots in the Domesday book - the stone cellar steps have huge dips in them. We (my family) have been in house since 1958 and are now almost the longest residents in the village. At some point before we brought it a very famous person used to visit to escape London during the war. There is also a resident ghost or two.

Do you want an article? :D
                              Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Originally posted by Bo the Bodger View Post
                                Do you want an article? :D
                                Beware of any thread started by Velma! :D:D
                                Elaine

Comment

While researching my maternal GGGrandmother, I found her in 1891 living in Dixon Square, Monkwearmouth, and dying there in 1894, I was surprised when doing a general search I came up with this.

England's Past for Everyone in County Durham : Signs of Monkwearmouth's Past - Dixon's Square

For those of you from the North east the site is interesting and informative and growing, if you look through the pictures you will see the Newcastle "Blue star" wasn't the first..

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
                                    *thinks that Velma is fishing for stories for the magazine again* ;)
                                    I think you might be correct there - but no fishing = no magazine!! :D
                                    Caroline
                                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                                      I think you might be correct there - but no fishing = no magazine!! :D
                                      I know Caroline

Well done to both of you.

Comment

Many thanks for your replies everyone, I now have an article, but I'm not saying who ;)

Just keep your eyes peeled for my fishing net in future!

:D

Comment

Working...
                                        X