Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 pension info

Hello all

I have been searching for some info on my Charles Edwin Webb that lived in India during WW1 and I have found that there is a pension for a Charles Edwin Webb on Ancestry.

Could some kind person please have a look for me and tell me if it mentions anything about family or place of residence that may help me work out if its my guy.

Many thanks in advance

Danny
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

when/where was he born?

Comment

There is an entry for Charles Edwin Webb.

Do you know what regiment he was in, as there quite a few Charles Webb's? The one on Ancestry was in the Essexs'.
      Families Intrested in
      Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

From what Ive been told, he joined the army and went out to India before 1906 and married an Indian lady and had some kids.
        He was still there in 1931.
        One of his daughters was born 1906.

I dont know whn he was born or where, I just have him on a marriage cert and the info from his Granddaughter.

Sorry fo lack of info

Danny

Comment

Hi Danny,

I doubt that he is your man. He was born in 1891, so he would have joined up when he was 15 (at least). I will keep looking for an enlistment date.

Although he did serve in India!
          Families Intrested in
          Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

The Charles Edwin Webb shown on Ancestry was in the Essex Reg. and served in Egypt and Palestine.
            Elaine

Comment

it can't be him then as he is down s single and returning to royston, herts on discharge

Comment

Originally posted by quiffdo View Post
                From what Ive been told, he joined the army and went out to India before 1906 and married an Indian lady and had some kids.
                He was still there in 1931.
                One of his daughters was born 1906.
                Do you know the name of the child born 1906?
                Do you have her birth certificate?
                Elaine

Comment

the one I have enlisted in 1914

Comment

The name of the child born in 1906 was Winifred Webb.

I dont have her birth cert as I cant find it as of yet but I do have her marriage cert.

Danny

Comment

Cannot find Winifred Webb's birth on the overseas index.
                      Elaine

Comment

On the oversea index does it include places like Portugal etc.....

What I mean is, when searching for her birth in India, is it just India that pops up or would a Winifred Webb born in Portugal pop up aswell?

Danny

Comment

It includes all countries but only if the parents registered the birth with the British authorities.
                          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Danny - not absolutely sure from your post no 4 - but - if Charles Edwin Webb was still in the army in India in 1931 his records wouldn't be on Ancestry - for anyone who served after 1920 records have not been publicly released.

It is possible to apply for them if you fulfill certain criteria - see here:

Service records - Army

Good Luck

Sue
                            Last edited by SueNSW; 01-02-09, 07:15.

Comment

Working...
                            X