Which cert should I order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which cert should I order?

I have found on 1911 census that my grandmother had another child that died.
    I am pretty certain that the one I have found born 1894 died 1895 is correct and fits nicely in with the other children. Also a unusual middle name fits.
    I want to order the death cert to see why she died but have never bought a childs death cert before. Under Occupation will this give one of the parent's names?
    On an adult cert it often gives under occ.. wife of...widow of etc. What does it give for a child?

..Or do you think I should order the birth cert instead to be sure I have the right person?
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

It would normally give the name and occupation of the father......I've just looked at one in my collection for 1894 and it says "son of George Rogers, corn dealers warehouseman"

Comment

If you are going to be able to positively identify the child from the father's name, then I would go for the death cert.

If you are "lucky" the mother may have registered the death.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
        If you are going to be able to positively identify the child from the father's name, then I would go for the death cert.

If you are "lucky" the mother may have registered the death.
        That's certainly true from the ones i have, even if mum didn't register the death havng the date is useful as the cemetery register is easier to search and the details often add a little something to the story.

I also find it more satisfactory on my tree to see the date of death even if the dob is approximate, just having a dob with no marriage or death looks open ended and the entry looks like a forgotten name in the tree.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thank you Merry

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post

I also find it more satisfactory on my tree to see the date of death even if the dob is approximate, just having a dob with no marriage or death looks open ended and the entry looks like a forgotten name in the tree.
          Yes that's exactly how I feel Glen.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

The main batch i had was for my granny, she had nine children and six survived, i have the death certs for the three youngsters and it's suprising that mobody in the family knew about them until i found the entries.

One was called George, (1915-1916) it seems the name died with him as he was the last to bear the name after seven generations.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I have the death cert for a babe discovered through the 1911 census.
              Poor wee chap only lived for 11 hours, so I have a pretty close birth date too.
              (This was another baby who was forgotten by family memories, but is now remembered on our Tree)
              Bridget

Comment

Working...
              X