Certs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certs

I have just sent for my sons birth cert as he lost his and a freind from England said he wouldn`t` be able to use it because of the "certificate is not evidence of identity" bit at the bottom.

I explained that i had to send for the other sons a couple of years back (yes he lost his too) and was fine when he used it last year,

Now she has said that for 25 pound you can get a original long cert, i`ve never heard of this, has anyone else?.

Sylvia
    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Are you talking England or Aus, Sylvia.

In Aus you will need the long cert but it is the same price as an extract (???)

No idea about UK.....sorry.

Comment

This is England Libby, 1970

Sylvia
      Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzie Gert View Post
        Now she has said that for 25 pound you can get a original long cert, i`ve never heard of this, has anyone else?.

Sylvia
        She probably means the bmd-certificates website. They charge £25 for "certificates are full/long form, certified and official."

However, the certificates are exactly the same as you would get by ordering directly from the GRO. Save your money and order from them

All certificates have the 'not proof of identity' bit on them.
        Last edited by Orangeblossom; 29-01-09, 09:28.
        Tracy

Comment

Only £7 from the GRO Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service

These other sites charge the earth for the same thing

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks everyone, i have no intention of paying more than 7 pounds for a cert, just wondered if the long ones still existed as a replacement.

Sylvia
            Sylvia

Comment

The one you get from the GRO is the long cert.

You can also get them from the local Register Office, but it'll cost about the same. They may be able to scan the original for you.

Comment

Thank you Mary, i think she was trying to say the 25 pound one did not contain the words "certificate is not evidence of identity" which i cannot find on my own original birth cert

Sylvia
                Sylvia

Comment

Ozzie

They did not start adding the words "not vidence of identity" etc until fairly recently.

It isn't on your cert (nor on mine) because of our age! If however, either of us sent for a copy bc from the GRO, it would be produced on a form which DOES have those words on it.

OC

Comment

OC

I have both, as i couldn`t find my original, when i started my tree, so yes the new version has that on it.
                    Sylvia

Comment

I find it rather amusing that a DEATH cert has the words "not evidence of identity" on it too.

Why on earth would you have a copy of your OWN death cert
                      Vicky

Comment

So that when you look in the obituary column you can be sure they've spelt your name right.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Uncle John,
                          not sure that's always true

my uncle was known to everyone as Harry, but his birth was registered as William Henry. His death cert is correct, but the funeral notice/obit has him as William HAROLD.
                          Vicky

Comment

Proof of identity, if you have a credit size card driving licence with your photo on, do you know they have an expiry date? (its hard to spot under item 4b) the first ones are due to run out. I understand £17.50 for a new one or a possible £1000 fine for using an expired one!

Comment

All full driving licences expire on the day before the holders 70th birthday.
                              Cheers
                              Guy
                              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I'm still on a green paper one and hopefully won't have to change to the new fangled photo ones!!!:D:D

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

My driving licence will never expire. I don't have one. My bus pass expires in 2010.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes Guy, driving licences expire when you hit 70, but the new plastic ones have to be renewed every 10 years, or as Southwick says you risk a fine.
                                    Another revenue grabber from the Government.
                                    Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Isn't it just the photo that expires?

I'm sure it is. The actual licence expires when the person is 70 years old. Then you have to apply to have it renewed.

Obviously if your photo is taken at 17, then you are going to look very different is a few years time.

Comment

Even the older birth certs which don't say 'not evidence of identity' aren't evidence of identity. Anyone could have got hold of it. These days to prove you are who you say you are, you need something with your name and address on it (utility bill) and your photo. Though how people who don't drive and don't have student/oap passes or a passport get round that, I have no idea. Good job I have got a driving licence as I haven't got a passport!

As an asside, did you know that your MOT certificate says (something along the lines of) this certificate does not guarantee the vehicle is safe to drive. WHAT?? so why have the blinky test then?:(
                                        Rose

Comment

Working...
                                        X