Brick Wall Wilkinson in Hull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brick Wall Wilkinson in Hull

Can anyone tell me where to go next please?

I am trying to find my 3X Gt Grandparents.
    The information I have so far is from their son's Richard Charles Wilkinson birth registration in Jan 1823 at Thorne quay which just says his parents were William a carpenter and his mother was Sarah.
    On the marriage certificate of Richard in 1846 in Hull his father was a Shipwright as was Richard. Richard was living in Jenning Street, Hull.
    I have found Richard on the 1841 census but he was with a young family called Smith living in Jenning Street, Hull, but I don't know where to start to look for William and Sarah. I have no idea if they are originally from Hull or not as William could have been in Thorne working on a ship when Richard was born.
    I have Richard on all of the census records but don't have a clue where to look for William and Sarah.
    Does anyone have a clue where I go from here?

Thanks.

Hi Otters

Welcome to the forum.

I see the baptism is recorded on the IGI as both an extracted record and also a submitted record, the submitted record also gives marriage in 1846 and death in 1878 plus children from 1848 onwards.

Although they may not be connected there are some later submitted records (using a parent search) that might be connected.

RACHEL WILKINSON 25 MAY 1830 Clayton By Bradford, Yorks

MARY ANN WILKINSON 09 DEC 1828 Clayton By Bradford

EMMA WILKINSON 05 OCT 1833 Clayton By Bradford.

To be fair there are a few other entries via a parent search but it's the fact that these are submitted that drew me to them.

I haven't got an ancestry sub at the minute so i can't check to see if any of the names above happen to appear in the census with a William with the right occupation.

Freereg doesn't appear to have the area covered at present which is a shame, i often find trawling the area for any occurence of a surname can build a picture of potential "who, where and when" events that can be used later to include or exclude certain things.
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 28-01-09, 18:17.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Not getting very far with this so I brought it back to the top incase anyone can help.
      Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

You know that young Smith family Richard is with in 1841? Well, it looks like the wife, Jane, is Richard's sister

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

Marriages Jun 1840 (>99%)

BILTON Hannah Sculcoates 22 337
        BIRKETT Anthony James Sculcoates 22 337
        FOSTER John Sculcoates 22 337
        GIBBONS Charlotte Sculcoates 22 337
        LOUTH Sarah Ann Sculcoates 22 337
        RICHARDSON John Sculcoates 22 337
        SMITH Samuel Sculcoates 22 337
        Wilkinson Jane Sculcoates 22 337

Here they are in 1851. Jane gives her birthplace as Hull

Samuell Smith 31
        Jane Smith 31
        Sarah A Smith 10
        William Smith 8
        Mary Smith 6
        Richard Smith 8 Mo

HO107; Piece: 2361; Folio: 431; Page: 28;
        Jeanette
        Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

From the IGI

Father: William Wilkinson, Mother: Sarah
          Exact Spelling: Off
          Batch Number: C107461

1. JANE MARIA WILKINSON - International Genealogical Index
          Gender: Female Christening: 30 JAN 1820 Sutton In Holderness, Yorkshire, England

2. CHARLES WILKINSON - International Genealogical Index
          Gender: Male Christening: 23 SEP 1821 Sutton In Holderness, Yorkshire, England

3. MARIA WILKINSON - International Genealogical Index
          Gender: Female Christening: 03 MAY 1815 Sutton In Holderness, Yorkshire, England

4. ELIZA WILKINSON - International Genealogical Index
          Gender: Female Christening: 06 JUL 1817 Sutton In Holderness, Yorkshire, England
          Jeanette

Comment

There's also this baptism...parents William Wilkinson and Sarah

7. WILLIAM GEORGE WILKINSON - International Genealogical Index
            Gender: Male Christening: 25 MAY 1812 Sutton In Holderness, Yorkshire, England

There are lots of other baptisms with only the father, William, named but there seems to be several William Wilkinsons in Sutton at the time

Btw, incase you aren't familiar with the area, Sutton is just outside Hull
            Jeanette

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanette In Yorkshire View Post

1. JANE MARIA WILKINSON - International Genealogical Index
              Gender: Female Christening: 30 JAN 1820 Sutton In Holderness, Yorkshire, England
              I can't add anything else to the findings at the minute but for some reason the entry above sends a shiver down my back.

The only link to Hull (or the area) i know of is 1870 when my 2xgrt g/f was arrested in Hull although he lived in Lincoln, i don't have the surname Wilkinson in my tree anywhere but for some reason the Jane Maria entry gives me that "i should know you" feeling.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Spooky, Glen! Hope it comes back to you

Just been thinking, I wonder if Richard's birthplace is really Thorne. There is a small village close to Sutton called Thearne whcih sits on the banks of the River Hull....just the right place for a shipwright ;)
                Jeanette

Comment

Goodness! If you say Thorne with a Hull accent it comes out as Thearne!! :D:D:D

Anne

Comment

Indeed it does Ann....especially an east Hull accent LOL
                    Jeanette

Comment

And just to further compound that theory, could this be William Wilkinson bap 1812?

WILLIAM WILKINSON Pedigree
                      Male Family

Marriages:
                      Spouse: JANE BROWN Family
                      Marriage: 18 JUN 1837 Sculcoates, Yorkshire, England

Source Information:
                      Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:

M009152 1813 - 1837 0919441-443 Film 6909698 Film

William Wilkinson 39 born Beverley
                      Jane Wilkinson 36
                      Mary Brown 17
                      William Wilkinson 13
                      George Wilkinson 6
                      HO107; Piece: 2363; Folio: 143; Page: 53

William Wilkinson 48 born Theame (Thearne)
                      Jane Wilkinson 47
                      William Wilkinson 22
                      George Wilkinson 16
                      Joseph B Jewitt 26
                      Mary E Jewitt 26 Daughter
                      William H Jewitt 4
                      Henrietta E Jewitt 1 Mo
                      Jeanette

Comment

Thank you all so much for your help.
                        You have got me thinking now about where they are from and having looked again feel almost sure they are the Wilkinson's in Sutton on Hull. I have now found a marriage for a William and Sara Boak 8/1/1798 along with 13 other children apart from Richard Charles.
                        I also agree with Jane being Richard's sister.
                        The only problem I have now, is that someone looked at the Parish register for me for Richards birth in 1823 and said he was born in Thorne Quay, I assume on a barge. I wonder of there would have been a quay in Thearne in those days?

Comment

There is plenty on Google about Thorne Quay on the River Don near Doncaster. There seems to have been shipbuilding there.

If someone looked for Richard's baptism in 1823 - which register did they look in? I assume those of Thorne near Doncaster? If he was actually baptised elsewhere is it possible that was a different Richard Wilkinson? (not that uncommon a name after all!)

On the other hand the River Don, the Humber and the River Hull are all one waterway so its not so much of a leap.

Anne

Comment

I haven't yet decided why Sarah was in Thorne when Richard Charles was born but I really have a gut feeling that this family are the ones from Sutton in Holderness. I agree with Jeanette about Jane being Richards sister and she is from S in H with the same parents as Richard (William & Sarah) I have now found another 13 children. There is a marriage for William & Sarah Boak 8/1/1798. Now I can't find births for William or Sarah Boak. Not another brick wall?

I am amazed at the ammount of help I have recieved from you all. I do appreciate it.

Thanks.

Comment

Otters...Are you in East Yorkshire? Can you get to the county records office? As I said, there seems to have been more than one William Wilkinson in Sutton at the time so all of those children might not belong to your william (althouhg they do fit in nicely with the marriage). A look at the parish registers might give some more info
                              Jeanette

Comment

Hi Jeanette,
                                I am not in East Yorkshire unfortunately, we moved a number of years ago from Hull. Are the records held at Beverley rather than Hull do you know? Maybe when the weather warms up a bit I will try to have a look at them.
                                I can't find another marriage for a William in Sutton around the same time on the IGI and I don't have Ancestry so can't check anywhere else but thank you for your help.

Comment

The PRs are at Beverley, Otters. I'll take a look for you next time I'm there if you like
                                  Jeanette

Comment

Jeanette that would be marvelous. I would really appreciate it if you could. You are a star.

Comment

I've jotted down the info Otters. I'll try and get there this week, weather permitting!
                                      Jeanette

Comment

I have only just seen these replies, so I am sorry not to have been in touch earlier.

I would like to thank you all for you input and to tell you that Jane Maria is in fact the sister of Richard Charles Wilkinson my Gt Gt grandfather.

I still have a problem with their parents William and Sarah. As far as I know William was born Abt 1777 and died 1849 Hull but there are several Sarah's that he could have married. For some unknown reason I have tried to link up with Sarah Balk (Baulk) having them married 1798 in Sutton.

Sarah Balk's parents were Richard and Jane, so that alone makes great sense.

I think I need to see the registers for them both to see if I can get anywhere.

Does anyone know what records are kept at the Borthwick in York? is it possible to search East Riding records there?

Again than you for your help.

Comment

Working...
                                        X