Tip on accessing Gale archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip on accessing Gale archives

Like most of us I made full use of the various sites giving free access to the Gale newspaper archives.

However, these are now few and far between, so I was really pleased to find out that my local library had access through their site, but unfortunately it wouldn't accept my library card number!!

I've been dealing with the technical guy there, who assures me that my number works OK on his computer, which made me realise that it was a cookie problem.

So I've deleted all cookies and now can get access. Just thought I'd pass that bit of info on, in case others are having similar access problems.

Nice tip there.

The way things are going is it time we had a wiki section along the lines of "something for nothing" or "searching on a shoestring"?

A page or series of pages giving tips and tricks to free resources and giving advice about the latest deals on selected sites etc.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Sounds like the ideal project for you Glen... ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
        Sounds like the ideal project for you Glen... ;)
        on top of the pow co-ord work, the talk pages, the database of required Scotland pow photos, the adding of photographs (ok that's a bit quiet at the minute:o), constant hunting for links to Scotland county pages etc.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Redacted

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
            A page or series of pages giving tips and tricks to free resources and giving advice about the latest deals on selected sites etc.
            As long as the "tips and tricks" are all above-board, of course.

I think we would need to post expiry dates of offers up so that whoever was maintaining the page could easily see when to delete entries.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
              As long as the "tips and tricks" are all above-board, of course.

I think we would need to post expiry dates of offers up so that whoever was maintaining the page could easily see when to delete entries.

Tips and tricks was maybe not the best description.

Things like census address searches are asked fairly regularly, in the wiki there is already a section giving links to sites that offer the facilty and there is also a guide to searching by address via Ancestry for free.

Sites like Gale can be accessed in the way described above, and using the library for Ancestry access is another "budget" option along with a 14 day trial on a home pc. There must be other sites that can be accessed via library membership or membership of certain organisations or societies.

By posting say the 14 day Ancestry trial then it's demonstrating a legitimate option, the problem could be if someone then works the "system" to their advantage and devises a way to access a trial on more than one occassion.

I suppose really it boils down to potential comeback on both the author/submitter or links and articles and consequences for FTF if the information is them misused by someone at a later date?

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I shouldn't have thought that FTF could be held responsible for someone else misusing publicly available information, providing that the technique for misuse had not been published here.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine, I was just thinking of threads I have seen on other sites in the past where people posted up passwords to get onto pay sites without paying, that kind of thing which we wouldn't want.
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Christine, I was just thinking of threads I have seen on other sites in the past where people posted up passwords to get onto pay sites without paying, that kind of thing which we wouldn't want.
                    I agree - that would not be appropriate - and would not be consistent with the refreshingly honest atmosphere on FTF.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

That would be suggesting/promoting/encouraging a probable breach of the terms and conditions most sites use regarding security of memberships and/or accounts.I can well understand the need to ensure that didn't happen and understand that any instance would be removed from the site.

There are legitimate ways to access information and websites either for free or at reduced rates in a variety of ways, as well as highlighting offers for sites that may be useful, it wouldn't be the first time that a trial offer had been mentioned and as this thread shows (well the original post anyway) an alternative route to take for accessing the Gale project for example.

Both ITV and the BBC feature Martin Lewis and his suggestions about offers a for credit cards, savings accounts, energy suppliers etc, (as well as some useful websites:D). Using sites such as quidco for discounts get mentioned regularly too.

I remember how he mentioned one bank offering £20 to anyone who opened an account with £1, the bank didn't say you had to keep the account open however and he suggested you open the account, wait for the £20 to be credited then close the account taking your (now) £21 out the door.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                      X