Brick wall any help appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brick wall any help appreciated

Any help or input with this one will be appreciated.
    I have a Robert Bruce who wed a Margaret wheatley in 31 Aug 1789 Jarrow, St. Paul Durham( I have copy of marriage register witness was a William turner?) any way they had a few children which can be found on batch P016101 on IGI born in Newcastle .I’m trying to find out the birth of Robert and where he was from it seems that he moved about a bit in Durham but native of Tanfield and Jarrow .All My bruces are from Newcastle up until this point all are checked on parish records .
    However this one is proving difficult for me as to his birth place .
    I have found a Robert born 1764 heworth Durham to a William Bruce but no birth for his father William -just a dead end.
    Any help appreciated.

CHILDRENS BAPTISMS from actual registers

The info below from a transcription of the full parish registers.

Church ... St Andrews Parish Church Newcastle ( C of E/Anglican, NOT the Roman Catholic St Andrews less than half a mile away)

Baptisms...

John, born 7 Sep 1790, bapt 1 May 1791, son of Robert Bruce by his wife Margaret Wheatly

Isabella, born 16 Dec 1793, bapt 23 June 1793, dtr of Robert Bruce, cordwainer, by his wife Margaret Wheatley.

William, born 23 Dec 1795 , bapt 27 March 1796, son of Robert Bruce, by his wife Margaret Wheatly.

Mary, born 13 Nov 1798, bapt 24 March 1799, second dtr to Robert Bruce, cordwainer, native of the parish of TANFIELD, by his wife Margaret formerly Wheatly, native of parish of Prudhoe, dtr of William Wheatly.

George, born 12 Nov year unclear, 1800 or 1801, bapt 1 Aug 1802, third son of Robert Bruce, Cordwainer, native of Jarrow, by his wife Margaret formerly Wheatly, native of Houghton ( Houghton-le-Spring)

As Robert was a cordwainer, he will have served an apprenticeship. His papers may still exist, in the county records office, but of course he may have been apprenticed elsewhere....

If you can find his papers then they will be very informative probably, giving his date of birth, his date and place of baptism (you had to be baptised to be apprenticed),the name of his father, the name of his Master and may also track his movements.

If that fails, look for settlement orders for the various parishes, although as a time-served cordwainer he was allowed free passage through the parishes.

OC

Comment

BT's have Cuthbert Wheatley as Margarets Father for the birth of George!

Comment

hi thanks
        Its roberts father im trying to find no mention on marriage certificate.

Comment

Robert's father's name will be given on Robert's apprenticeship papers.

OC

Comment

Working...
          X