Borthers - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borthers - help

I am trying to find 3 brothers, have names and surname, dates between 1890 - 1915, registered London!! (have no specific DOBs etc so a very long shot)

I have just spent 4 hours searching BDM site and also 1911 (via snowdrop's free link -thanks) to no avail...google eyed at the minute
    I can only find one similar name listed in each of family addresses - looking for an address with 3 names (fingers crossed)!!

Is there any other way of researching them? I'm a bit of a novice at this so any advice gratefully received

thanks

At that time London was a very small area. Most of what is now London was in Surrey or Middlesex. Are you working back from what you know to be true, or what people have told you, which can be different?
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Have you got them in the 1901?

Some names are ripe for mistranscriptions and sometimes folks used a middle name instead of their "proper" name, other time you might find a John becomes a Jack for example.

If you post the pre 1901 names, dates etc as you know them then someone with a sub (not me i'm afraid:o) might be able to find them in the 1901 if you haven't got them already.

It's time i hit the wooden hill but i'll pop back on tomorrow for an update.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Brothers

thanks for your replies, unfortunately I have no definite info on dates, its only what others have told me...
        Its really a long shot that any of them would be alive in 1901..and I dont know their parents names either.

1890 - 1915 Somewhere around region of Edmonton/Tottenham

I only know that there were 3 brothers, surname Thompson, Frederick, Victor and Maurice, with possibly a 4th named Gerald...

In the 1911 census free views I can find households with at least one of names and possibly relevant dates..I know of course that some of brothers could have been born post 1915.

I also know that Frederick served in the RAF WW2..is it possible to access any military info from anywhere

I would really appreciate any help whatsoever...or if anyone can point me in direction of where to search...thankyou

Comment

It's going to be awkward if you are starting from an unknown point because although the names aren't the most common Thompson names around there will always be more than one possible entry for all of them.

The military records are not online, it is possible for family members to apply for records but in order to do so there is a kinship form to complete and a certain amount of information is reqd, the more details provided the better (age/dob, service number etc). Being realistic even if you could get hold of records then without knowing something about the family you would be hard pushed to know one serviceman called Thompson from another.

Whilst it isn't impossible to work out the family by starting with little information it isn't easy. If you have been told anything that might indicate the name of a wife or a clue to when any of them may have died then it might be worth trying to start from that point, if you can at least pin down one known fixed event then it is a starting point.

In the meantime make a note of names, dates etc you already have and add to that with anything else you discover in the future and you might be able to start to link things together or discount them.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
          X