Help finding marriage please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding marriage please

I am on the verge of giving up! I have looked for ages for this marriage, I am hoping they were married so I can order the cert for her father's details:

Margaret Campbell to William George Cooper around 1865/6.

They moved around a lot with his work. Margaret was born in Edinburgh around 1848/9. I think someone has already had a look for their marriage in Scotland but no joy. Sometimes William was shown as George William on the census, he had a brother by that name

William was born in Arlesey Beds about 1845.

Their first child on the 1871 census was Hannah born in Battersea in 1866, reg Mar Q.
    I can't read her exact place of birth but here they all are for ref in 1871:

RG10; Piece: 1628; Folio: 72; Page: 82

Btw on the 1911 census Margaret is a widow living in Bristol. She says she is 62 & was married for 44 years. She had 15 children, 11 survived !

I'll be back in a min after I've had a lie down, lol!!

Joanie

I assume this is his birth ref?

Births Sep 1845 Cooper William George Biggleswade 6 52
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Have you found them after 1871 Joanie to pin down when he died?

Come on gal - you can't still be lying down )

Comment

Loads of Campbell/Cooper marriages but nothing for the right names at all that i can see.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Yep I am lol!!

Yes I think that is his birth in 1845.

I have them in 1881 as well, but there isn't anymore info apart from a few more children, born all over the place! I don't think it will help but here they are in 1881 :

RG11; Piece: 849; Folio: 43; Page: 30

;)

Joanie

Comment

Where are you looking Glen? I had a look on Ancestry, I even scrolled through every page for both names in 1865-1868 but none that matched:(

I wondered if it is possible for a marriage to appear in 2 different quarters for the same couple? ie one in June Q & one in Sept Q say?

Joanie

Comment

Oh piffle - I came back to tell you where they were in 1881 lol
              I have to go now - hubby calling. Will look in tomorrow to see how it's going.
              xxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post
                Where are you looking Glen? I had a look on Ancestry, I even scrolled through every page for both names in 1865-1868 but none that matched:(

I wondered if it is possible for a marriage to appear in 2 different quarters for the same couple? ie one in June Q & one in Sept Q say?

I just did a blanket Campbell/Cooper marriage combination on freebmd, there are loads but the handful of Margaret/Maggie Campbell entries usually match an entry where the Cooper name is the other bride. The odd one with a Cooper groom are completely different names, districts and dates.

Not one is remotely close that i can see.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                  I just did a blanket Campbell/Cooper marriage combination on freebmd, there are loads but the handful of Margaret/Maggie Campbell entries usually match an entry where the Cooper name is the other bride. The odd one with a Cooper groom are completely different names, districts and dates.

Not one is remotely close that i can see.

Oh Glen that is NOT what I was hoping to hear!

I wonder where they married then (If at all?) She seems to be pretty accurate on the 1911 census.

Joanie

Comment

I think I just broke Ancestry lol!

:D

Joanie

Comment

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post
                      I think I just broke Ancestry lol!

Vandal:(

The "non" marriage option could be a strong possibility, after the trials of my "last ditch" last week anything seems possible when these women claim to be married.

In my case she was married and had kids to #1, lived with #2 and claimed to be married but wasn't, then married and had kids with #3, although all the kids to all three men were registered she "forgot" to mention her former names and "non marriage" to #2. She appeared to be a respectable girl who had only ever married once (to whoever happened to be the partner of the time) and butter wouldn't melt:D

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I did find what I think is Hannah's birth, in Mar Q 1866. I did wonder if it would be worth getting her birth cert, although I don't need it for the mother's maiden name I was wondering if Margaret would be down as Margaret Cooper or Campbell? There is no other way of spelling Campbell is there? lol !

Joanie

Comment

Well let's just say that i know that my granny registered three kids in the 1920's and at the time claimed to be Annie Townsend, formerly Turner.

She was actually Annie Garland, formerly Turner and was living with Mr Townsend (as if married but they never did make it up the aisle) after walking out on Mr Garland three years before.

Come the late 1920's she took up with another bloke by the name of Goddard and did get married, kids born to that marriage show her as "Goddard, formerly Turner".

There was no requirement to check she was telling the truth so it was easy to tell a lie or three (well a few more, she had several kids altogether).

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

But Margaret had 15 kids by William lol! Would they really have not married?

Plus she was very young, only around 16 when she had the first baby, so I would have thought that a marriage would have followed pretty sharpish. I have checked for years afterwards & no joy at all. I may be able to access one of the PR's for one of the births, I wondered if the Parish Register may be more revealing than the birth cert ?

Joanie

Comment

Bumping in case anyone else is brave enough to try to find it lol!

Joanie

Comment

Did Margaret's parents come to London, or did she arrive by herself?

Comment

I have no idea Merry sorry. All I know is she (Margaret Campbell) was born approx 1848/9 in Edinburgh. Their first child Hannah was born in Battersea reg Mar Q 1866.

Joanie

Comment

I'd just realised you don't know who they are!

Comment

William may have already been married to someone else and therefore not free to marry, 15 children or not!

She was a long way from home, so who was to know (or care) they weren't married.

OC

Comment

OC she would have been a minor if & when she married, probably only 16 or 17 at the oldest. I don't think (although it is possible) that she would have had time to marry before then though you never know

Any ideas where else to look? Do you know if it was possible for one entry to be in the one quarter of registration, & one in the next?

Joanie

Comment

Working...
                                        X