Childrens Homes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Childrens Homes

Does anyone know why a child of 10 would be put into a childrens home out of the area in which they lived when the mother and 2 other children are still living together. Father having died.

Would this happen by request of the Mother, or the authorities, does anyone know please?

Thank you

Could well be the mother requested help from local Board of Guardians and this was their response. I remember reading about a family where a child was taken into residential care as mother couldn't afford to feed all her children and she then had awful problems getting the girl back when she was old enough to leave school and work (and therefore help with the family finances) Children's homes were often out of area, especially for overcrowded urban areas eg Shoreditch ran a children's home out in the Essex) countryside.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

It may have been a school or home associated with the father's trade.

Blue Coats Schools were homes for children who had been orphaned (father dead, that means). Their fathers had paid a small amount into an insurance scheme run often by their employers, but sometimes arranged by themselves.

My father paid into the Blue Coats scheme in Manchester until my brother and I were of school leaving age.

OC

Comment

I presume it would have been easier to send a child of 10 years as the other two boys were 1 and 3 respectively and probably would have been too young.

Still trying to find out about the home so don't know the detail of it. The father looked after the horses for the buses so not sure whether this would have been the sort of thing you are suggesting. Thank you

Comment

Gill

It would have been seen as an advantage by all concerned - 10 year old boy, needs a man's influence, eats a lot and needs a worthwhile trade. His mother was probably very grateful.

Yes, I can imagine someone involved with buses would be party to such a scheme. The respectable working class Victorians/Edwardians were very keen to provide any alternative to the workhouse for their dependants.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Gill D View Post
            Does anyone know why a child of 10 would be put into a childrens home out of the area in which they lived when the mother and 2 other children are still living together. Father having died.

Would this happen by request of the Mother, or the authorities, does anyone know please?

Thank you
            I have exactly the same senario....

My grandad was the oldest of 7 siblings and the only boy, when his father died in 1908 he was 15, his sister 14, there was two "middle" sisters Ellen & Annie aged 12 & 10 and then there was 2 youngest sisters aged 4 & 10 months...

Both the middle sisters were put in childrens homes, the mother simply could not afford to keep them all at home. The 2 oldest were near to working age so they stayed at home with their mother for obvious reasons...I suppose she choose the 2 middle daughters because she thought they wouldnt be in a childrens home that long before they started working a few years later, as opposed to the 2 smallest children would be in an institution much longer due to their age......The sad thing about it was that both girls were split up and didnt see eachother or their familys again....

How do I know all this??? I have recently been in touch with the son of one of them sisters!!! (my mums cousin) in Australia. It turns out that his mum went to australia in 1926 met and married there and lived there untill she died in 1983....
            Last edited by Rosi Glow; 27-01-09, 23:27. Reason: amended year
            Rosi

We are the famous CFC

Comment

Working...
            X