Thomas Emery b: c1865

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Emery b: c1865

This is one of my Irish paternal great grandfathers. He married Ellener Lucy in 1890 in Irvinestown, Co Fermanagh, N Ireland and they had 6 children, one of which was my paternal grandmother.

I have no further details about him, other than possibly the Emery family originated in England. Irish records seem so difficult to find, I'm a bit at a loss what to do.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Have you got his marriage certificate, although I'm not sure what information is included on Irish marriage certificates and whether it would lead you any further back.
    Elaine

Comment

Below are the only Thomas Emery's I can see in the Ireland civil registration indexes for that period (I searched 1860-1869) at FamilySearch Record Search

Some of us have found out some useful tricks to get better search results - see this thread for more information and tips: http://www.familytreeforum.com/resea...n-indexes.html

Name: Thomas Emery
      Registration district: Donegal
      Record type: DEATHS
      Registration date - quarter and year: Jan - Mar 1925
      Estimated birth year: 1861
      Volume: 2
      Page: 22

Name: Thomas James Emery
      Registration district: Kilrush (Clare)
      Record type: BIRTHS
      Registration date - quarter and year: 1868
      Volume: 14
      Page: 395
      Sarah

Comment

Found this one

Name: Thomas Emmery
        Registration district: Irvinestown
        Record type: MARRIAGES
        Registration date - quarter and year: Apr - Jun 1890
        Estimated birth year:
        Film number: 101256
        Volume: 2
        Page: 105
        Digital GS number: 4179388
        Image number: 00208
        Collection: Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958

- not sure if the volume and page no. apply to the marriage certificate reference - or to the FHL film!

(You can see I don't know much about Irish research!!)
        Elaine

Comment

I think they apply to the marriage reference. The images have disappeared from the site now :( but when the images were still there the other day, you could double-check the volume and page number the same way as for the English indexes.
          Sarah

Comment

Dot, I think the marriage is listed on the Irish Family History Foundation site:
            Irish World Heritage Centre - Online Searching of Irish ancestral and genealogy records (Births, Deaths, Marriages) for Co. Fermanagh

If it is on there then it would be an easier way of getting a look at the record than ordering a certificate from the Irish GRO and it should tell you the name of Thomas's father etc. (You do still have to pay to look at records on there though)
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
            X