Don't discount IGI submitted records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't discount IGI submitted records

After several years of getting nothing useful from records submitted to the IGI I have at last struck gold. A submitted record, clearly very carefully researched, has given me a complete family, including additional children who were born and died between censuses. I now have precise dates of birth and death. The address is precisely where they were in two successive censuses and the d.o.b.'s and marriage details lined up with my information.

However, I'm not going to generalise from a sample of one!
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Yes I have had some good ones too, although I never count them as definate until I have checked the actual Parish Record. They can certainly point you in the right direction sometimes - unless they are clearly MAD like some of those OC quotes! :D

Anne

Comment

You can usually get a good idea of whether a submitted record is likely to be worth following up by looking to see if it has an exact date and name of church, or if it has a vague date "Abt. " whatever.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
        You can usually get a good idea of whether a submitted record is likely to be worth following up by looking to see if it has an exact date and name of church, or if it has a vague date "Abt. " whatever.
        Or that wonderful female forename - MRS

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

As in: "Child of Henry Smith and Mrs Henry Smith" :D:D

Anne

Comment

Even those need not necessarily be discounted. I have found instances in Parish Registers where it simply states Male Child of William X baptised.

(Not X of course.)
            Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

I found a submitted marriage for my gt x 3 grandparents "abt Apr 1794" which seemed like guesswork to me.

When I got to the records office I found the marriage register was so badly damaged it was illegible. But the banns register showed the banns had been read once in March and twice in April, so it was actually a very good guess based on likelihood, that they'd married the week following the last calling of the banns.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

The instance I have quoted is a Scottish family, OH's mother's cousins. If I had the urge to spend money I could download the register entries from SP. At this stage, I'm happy with what I've got. I know that a marriage in the list is correct because I did download that one some time ago.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

On the other side, don't believe all the extracted entries either.

There is an extracted entry for OH's 4 x great grandfather William Ariel marrying Elizabeth Hinkley. It is actually Elizabeth Kirkby.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                    On the other side, don't believe all the extracted entries either.

There is an extracted entry for OH's 4 x great grandfather William Ariel marrying Elizabeth Hinkley. It is actually Elizabeth Kirkby.
                    Similarly, ANN LANSBURRY should really be Ann Sansbury... but I forgive the transcriber, working with a dark and difficult image.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine....................it took me ages trying to find Miss Hinkley. I knew he'd married Eliz Kirkby so thought maybe two marriages. All the Ariel men marry Elizabeths (even my OH...lol).

It wasn't till I wrote Elizabeth Hinkley in old type script it fitted perfectly as Kirkby. As the marriage was in Bristol and all the Kirkbys were in Lancs at the time, I forgive the transcriber.

Comment

Working...
                      X