Richard Tidball b: c1762, d: Dec 1826 Poltimore, Devon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Tidball b: c1762, d: Dec 1826 Poltimore, Devon

Richard Tidball is my husband's 4 x ggfather. He married Ann Stark in Broadclyst, Devon in 1790 and once again I have followed the family forward to the present day. However, I cannot find where Richard was born and therefore who his parents were. I do have the witnesses at their wedding but they are no help as they do not appear to be family members (Susan Hill and Thomas Dunsford or Gunsford).

There are a large number of Tidballs in Somerset and I am sure there is a connection there if I can go back far enough but without the information about Richard I am stuck.

What were the names of Richard and Ann's children, please? Often it turns out that the first few children were named after the grandparents, so it might give us some clues.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hello Dot, welcome to FTF.

I rarely post on research because I'm too slow,:D but I had a look on free reg & couldn't find Richard in Devon.
      I have found a Richard Tudball in Upton Somerset which is on Exmoor & very close to the Devon border.
      Baptism 19 Jun 1767, ch St James, Father James, Mother Joan

If you would like, I only live five mins from Somerset RO & could go & check out the record for you.
      Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Richard and Ann's children that I know of were
        Samuel b: nov 1792 in Poltimore d: 1873 in Teignmouth
        Mary b: jan 1795 in Poltimore, m: John Berry 1820 Poltimore, d: 1881 in Teignmouth
        Issac b: 1803 d: 1804 both in Poltimore

Comment

Vivienne if you would do that I would be so grateful. I am so excited that this might be our Richard after looking for him for nearly 2 years now.

Comment

Ok Dot, I can't go today but I'll see how I am in the morning, I shouldn't have any problems getting a machine.

Did I meet you at Exeter Craft Fair?

Comment

Yes you did!

Comment

Glad you found your way here Dot, I'm sure you will enjoy finding your way around. As I told you at Exeter, everyone here is very kind & will help wherever they can.

Comment

Sorry Dot, I rang to check there would be a machine free only to be told that the record office is currently closed for annual stock taking till friday 6th Feb inclusive. Will be the week starting the 9th before I can check this out.

Comment

Somerset Records Office

Hi Vivienne

Sorry not to have been in touch, but we've been away for the whole of half term and I wasn't very well before then. Thank you for offering to go into the RO for me regarding the Richard Tydball you found in Somerset. Have you had a chance to go in yet and if so did it reveal anything interesting?

Look forward to hearing from you when you can. Thanks, Dot

Comment

Hello Dot, I haven't been yet, I wanted to know you were coming back before I did.
                      I'll check out if I can get a machine tomorrow.

Comment

He may have been a Tudball. I have some Tudball's and they became Tidball's in the 1800's.
                        Kit

Comment

Hello Dot, there is nothing to say if this is your Richard, these registers are not well recorded.
                          All it says is in the Parish of Upton Somerset;
                          Richard son of James Tudball and his wife Joan bapt Jun 1767
                          If he is your man I found 2 brothers & a sister for him.
                          Mary daugh of James Tudball and his wife Joan bapt Jun 30 1761
                          Thomas son of James Tudball and his wife Joan bapt April 28 1763
                          James son of James Tudball and his wife Joan bapt Jan 10 1766

Sorry there was nothing definite to give you Dot.

Comment

Originally posted by Dot Tidball View Post
                            Richard Tidball is my husband's 4 x ggfather. He married Ann Stark in Broadclyst, Devon in 1790.
                            Hi Dot,

I'm just curious if you've seen the register entry for Richard and Ann's marriage or if you just have the information from a transcript. The reason I ask is that transcripts often do not include the bride and groom's parish of residence, even if that information was recorded in the register. This was how I was able to discover that my 5xg-gf came from Cornworthy, even though he married, had children, and died in Berry Pomeroy (both parishes are near Tottnes). Once I knew where to look, I was able to trace his ancestry back another four generations.

Of course, if Richard was already living in Broadclyst before marrying, he would simply be shown as "of this parish" - still, it might be worth checking out if you haven't done so already.

Best of luck -

Tim
                            "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Nudge incase Dot looks in & can't find.

Comment

Thanks so much Vivienne. I got Richard's year of birth from his age at death which I'm hoping is reliable. If it is, it means he was definitely born in 1761 or 2 which rules out the Somerset Richard. I will keep digging! Am I right in thinking the 1530 christening records are still on online for Cornwall, Devon and Somerset?

Comment

Hi Vivienne. I am wondering if I could ask you to check one more thing in the Somerset RO when you have a minute. I have found a Richard Tidball on someone elses family tree born in Exford in 1734 who had a number of children, one of which is listed as Robert? born Exford abt 30 October 1762. I am just wondering if the record is obscure enough that the name could be Richard rather than Robert and if so I think we just might have found him. Hope you don't mind me asking but it is going to be quite a while before I could get up to Taunton. Thanks in anticipation.

Comment

The Tudball and Tidball name have been interchanged but also there are older and other spellings to look for Tydball,Tedball,Tudbale,Tudbald,Toodball,Tittble,T itboald,Tudboald,Tidboald,Titbalt,Tidbalt,Tudbalt, Titball,Tidbald, and any combination of ti,tu,to or te of these all come from the root Theobald and Theobold.The name means in its root Theo or People and Bold or Bald would be Bold or Brave. So Bold or Brave people.This refers to a Germanic nomad tribe of people that were feared warriors that did battle against the Roman Army.Due to their fierce fighting style they were never completely defeated by the Roman Army and were given the nickname bold people.The name Tidball and Tudball specifically comes from Tydball meaning son of the bold people.or possibly decendant of the bold people as I have found both references.
                                    Last edited by Nightcrawler1; 10-03-09, 17:42. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Many Somerset Registers listed here (click on link)

TRANSCRIPTIONS

for example:

Upton Baptisms

Judith Tudball Thomas/Mary 10 11 1721
                                      Ann Tudball Thomas/Mary 9 8 1723
                                      Mary Tudball Thomas/Mary 27 5 1725
                                      Thomas Tudball Thomas/Mary 17 3 1727
                                      Martha Tudball Thomas/Mary 4 4 1729
                                      James Tudball Thomas/Mary 19 11 1730
                                      Joane Tudball Thomas/Mary 15 12 1732
                                      Katherine Tudball Abraham/Christian 27 4 1733
                                      Betty Tudball Thomas/Mary 1 11 1734
                                      Richard Tudball Thomas/Christian 30 3 1739
                                      Christian Tudball Thomas/Christian 19 9 1740
                                      William Tudball Thomas/Christian 16 8 1745
                                      Mary Tudball James/Joan 30 6 1761
                                      Thomas Tudball James/Joan 28 4 1763
                                      James Tudball James/Joan 10 1 1766
                                      Richard Tudball James/Joan 19 6 1767
                                      Joan Tudball ? 30 4 1775

Marriages

Francis Welsh Anne Tudball 17 3 1741
                                      John Surridge Mary Tudball 14 12 1750
                                      Thomas Tudball of Skilgate Mary Tudball 3 11 1779 Notes:He, Yeoman (yes shows Tudball marrying Tudball)
                                      Richard Tudball Elizabeth Gale 8 6 1789 Notes:He, Mr.
                                      Richard Tudball Elizabeth Sellick 6 4 1808 Notes:He, Widower

Burials

Abraham Tudball 21 12 1729
                                      Sarah Tudball 11 1 1730
                                      Mary Tudball 31 10 1735
                                      Judith Tudball 28 11 1735
                                      Joane Tudball 28 11 1735
                                      Betty Tudball 28 11 1735
                                      John Tudball 17 4 1736
                                      Christian Tudball 31 8 1745
                                      William Tudball 1 6 1746
                                      Sarah Tudball 12 8 1749
                                      Abraham Tudball 19 1 1752
                                      Thomas Tudball 16 3 1758
                                      Christian Tudball 6 5 1764
                                      James Tudball 28 3 1766
                                      Thomas Tudball 21 11 1778 Notes:He, Mr.
                                      Katteren? Tudball 16 6 1782
                                      James Tudball 31 1 1784 (Mr.)
                                      Thomas Tudball 16 6 1787 (Mr.)
                                      Betty Tudbull 20 12 1803 w. Richard

Comment

ExFord baptisms From TRANSCRIPTIONS

Alexander Tutbole Walter/Elizabeth 23 3 1728
                                        Annis Tutbole Walter/Elizabeth 17 1 1730
                                        William Tidball John/Elizabath 26 11 1730
                                        Walter Tidball Walter/Elizabath 19 6 1731
                                        Margreat Tidball John/Elizabath 29 5 1733
                                        Richard Tidball Walter/Elizabath 5 2 1734
                                        Elizabath Tidball John/Elizabath 15 6 1735
                                        Gregory Tidball Walter/Elizabath 28 1 1737
                                        Thomas Tidball Walter/Elizabath 23 8 1739
                                        Joan Tidbal John/Elizabath 3 4 1742
                                        John Tidbal Walter/Elizabath 10 8 1742
                                        William Tidbal Walter/Elizabath 23 12 1745
                                        Joan Tidball Robert/Joan 2 2 1760
                                        William Tudball Richard/Jane 13 9 1760
                                        Robert? Tidball Richard/Jane 30 10 1762 a son (very faint)
                                        Robert Tidball Alexander/Ann 2 1 1766 of Cutcombe
                                        John Tidball Richard/Jane 20 4 1766
                                        Walter Tidball Richard/Jane 24 5 1769
                                        Mary Tidball William/Grace 16 5 1773
                                        Betty Tidball William/Grace 22 10 1775
                                        Grace Tidball William/Grace 12 10 1777
                                        Hugh Tidball John/Mary 30 5 1778 of Withypool
                                        Nancy Tidball William/Grace 26 2 1780
                                        Jane Tidball William/Grace 4 7 1781
                                        John Tidball William/Grace 4 9 1785
                                        Sarah Tidboald William/Grace 5 8 1787
                                        Joan Tidball William/Grace 22 11 1789
                                        James Tidball Thomas/Mary Exford Labourer 23 12 1821
                                        William Tudball Abraham/Eliza Exford Tailor 25 7 1841
                                        John Tudball Abraham/Eliza Exford Tailor 21 3 1845

Marriages

Richard Tidball Jane Dunscomb 19 2 1760
                                        William Tidball Grace Bale 1 3 1772
                                        John Arnold Mary Tudbald 3 5 1795
                                        William Laramy Betty Tidbald 26 10 1801
                                        Thomas Woland Winsford Jane Tudbald 6 10 1804

Burials

Jane Tidball 23 2 1772 w. Richard
                                        Elizabeth Tidball 10 3 1776 Widow. Walter
                                        Elizabeth Tidball 27 12 1778 d. Gregory/Elizabeth, of Porlock
                                        Elizabeth Tidball 27 10 1782 Widow of John
                                        Richard Tidboald 18 1 1810 "Old age"
                                        Elizabeth Titball 3 3 1816 81 Exford
                                        Mary Titball 6 2 1819 98 Exford Mrs
                                        William Tudball 7 5 1826 82 Exford

Comment

Working...
                                        X