They called him Jack ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They called him Jack ??

Had to laugh ,been in touch with a new contact ,we have the same Great Grandfather who was named Thomas Richard Knight ,she informs me people called him Jack??? no wonder we cant find them, and why Jack ???? Jack of all trades maybe ????

My mother in law was called Harriet Alma - names she hated (although I have since found that she was named after both her grandmothers and wonder if she knew that?)

Most people would not have known her real name as she was called Betty by everyone!

Anne

Comment

Yes this is such a pain when they do that, I have lots now that I could not find because of a name change, John was Jack, Jack was Joe, another one was Ernest so they called him Jack ! Dorothy was Dolly, Vivian was Guy, oh dear they go on and on.
      regards Patti

*******always searching*********
      for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

Comment

you have to laugh though dont you ??? and when you think about it we do the same thing, my husband is really Brian but everybody calls him Tom which is his second name his mum Pauline was called Bubbles ??? we have had a friend for years called Jack or so we thought but no turns out he is Trevor ????
        Would love to be a fly on the wall in years to come to see what the new lot of researchers make of it .

Comment

Redacted

Comment

I had two possible birth dates for Great Uncle Harry, who died young. Now the 1911 census is out it turns out he was John Henry (yes, I knew that said my aunt!) & yesterday Dad just dropped into the conversation that nobody talked about him because he committed suicide.

Comment

It seem to run in families, my dad, William John was always known as Ted, his brother who was Edward was always called Terry
              www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
              http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

Comment

My mothers name was Mabel she hated it and everyone called her Audrey why Audrey shall never know it was not even a second name in fact she did not have a second name

Margaret

Comment

Redacted

Comment

OH had an aunt named Emma Lydia but was known as Babs! Family story is that Grandma wanted the baby to be named Barbara but Grandad wanted her named Emma after his mother so he went to the registry office and did what he wanted but it seems to me that Grandma won in the end:D

"Babs" went on to marry a Marcel -aka Joe:D
                    Sue

Comment

Took me ages to find my 'Pattie Titley' but that was probably because her name was 'Martha Jones'!!
                      Fiona. xx

Comment

My father is always called Jim, but his real name is Cyril. He was named after his father. My grandfather used to call him "his sunny Jim" and the Jim bit stuck.
                        Julie

Smile, it confuses people.

Comment

My name, obviously, is James although I prefer to be called Jim. My relatives in the North East always called me either Sunny (Sunny Jim) or, oddly, Billy. Even today they still call me Billy. The only reason I can think of is that I resemble my Uncle Bill more than I resemble my Father.

Shades of Only Fools and Horses. "Alright Dave?"
                          Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Ah yes. I've got one who was James Edward - but always known and referred to as 'Sonnie'. But I was told his proper names, so no problem there.

But in the 1911 census I've found the youngest daughter, Nora, listed - in father's handwriting - as Laura Mabel. Now when I saw on his death cert 'registered by Laura X, daughter' I thought she'd be a DiL, but that didn't fit, so I assumed the registrar was deaf! But no, she just used her 'official' name!

Can't wait to tell her elderly niece, who's always known her as Nora.

Bee
                            Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
                            COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

My OH is Thomas John. Apparently his older brother (by about 7 years) was allowed to choose his name and he chose John Thomas. MIL was not happy with that as there was some sort of rude connection (no idea what!). His dad was also Thomas, known as Tom so obviously he couldn't have the same name, hence he has always been John.

On the other side of the coin, my father was Gerard and my brother was given the same name. Mum would shout Gerard and either both would answer or neither!

My step-gran had 2 sisters who I knew as Dolly and Cissie when I was a child in the 1950's. I have no idea what their real names were so have not persued them for my tree.
                              Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

well here I am Lynne my aunt calls me Dolly LOL

Comment

How does she get Dolly from Valerie??
                                  Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

My OH had two great aunts known as Dolly and Cissie. I have now found out they were Dorothy & Marjorie This is further complicated by the fact that Cissie's daughter was known as Little Cissie - no idea what her real name is though!

OH's grandad was Thomas Henry, but always known as Harry or Pop.

One of my Mum's cousins was known as Son, haven't done that bit of the tree yet so I don't know what he was really called. There is another cousin called Gun, but his name was Gunness (I think).
                                    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

My mother was always known as Irene but her given name was Winifred and I have a very good friend called Albert but everyone calls him Jodie! not even remotely similar!!!!!

Comment

My great uncle Thomas was always known as Dick, and great uncle Harry was known as Cooz.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Working...
                                        X