Which church in Clee ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which church in Clee ?

I can't find any reference to a parish church in New Clee, is there one?

Marriage cert info:
    Marriage solemnized at Clee in the Parish of Clee in the county of Lincoln....

Married in the Parish church.... 1870. But their residence was given as New Clee, I can only find reference to Old Clee. Any clues ?
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Offhand i'm not sure but the person who probably knows best is Katarzyna, the Lincs POW database doesn't have a listing for Old and New Clee but it is possible that the buildings are indexed differently or may no longer exist.

It might be worth a pm to Kat if she doesn't spot the thread, if the buildings are around the chances are that Kat has already got them in the pow project.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I don't know the area, but a search on Google suggests that the parish church was Holy Trinity and St Mary which served the older part of Clee. The poplution grew and New Clee was established, still using the parish church.

Maybe a local person will confirm?

Comment

thank you
        Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
          ... the Lincs POW database doesn't have a listing for Old and New Clee but it is possible that the buildings are indexed differently or may no longer exist.
          Old Clee is listed - photo of Holy Trinity and St. Mary the Virgin submitted by Katarzyna.
          Lincolnshire Towns and Parishes O - Family Tree Forum
          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            Old Clee is listed - photo of Holy Trinity and St. Mary the Virgin submitted by Katarzyna.
            Lincolnshire Towns and Parishes O - Family Tree Forum
            Oops, i missed that one.

Better call it quits, my church error and the Asline Road query last night :D
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I put it down to old age!
              Elaine

Comment

Hi Jules
                There has always been confusion about Cleethorpes, Old Clee, New Clee and Grimsby.

Positionally we had Grimsby then 2 mile approx SE the Village of Cleethorpes and Thrunscoe. In between these two was the ancient village of Old Clee and in 1800's New Clee was built. New and Old Clee merged with Grimsby ... Cleethorpes and Thrunscoe village became Cleethorpes. Now Grimsby and Cleethorpes has merged so the boundaries are indifinable unless you know them!

Old Clee had the parish church of Holy Trinity and St Mary the Virgin. In 1800's this church served the areas of New Clee and Cleethorpes and Thrunscoe until a Chapel of Ease was built in Cleethorpes and Thrunscoe in 1866/7... St Peters. St Peters is now the Parish Church of Cleethorpes.

Therefore in answer to your question:
                As the cert says "at Clee in the Parish of Clee" I would suggest it would have been Holy Trinity and St Mary the Virgin because Old and New Clee have never been in Cleethorpes.

Hope I haven't confused you too much:D
                Last edited by Katarzyna; 27-01-09, 18:43.
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Working...
                X