Meredith Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meredith Family

I am trying to find a record of the birth of my gt.grandfather.
    DOB. - 26th March 1846 name James Meredith.
    His bible says born - Lampeter
    1901 census - Swansea.
    I can't find either.
    I only know his parents as John and Anna Meredith.
    Are there other records e.g. lodging houses ?
    would appreciate some ideas as am stuck
    Lesley

Lesley

Have you found him in censuses 1851-91? Where have you looked for the birth?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Can't see him with those parents on censuses.

Comment

What was his occupation?

LDS site has 1881 2 James Merediths, both born c.1847,

1.born in Lampeter, who is a seaman and visitor in York, and

2. born in Swansea, married to Susan, working as commercial traveller, living in Cornwall.

Comment

In Welsh is Lampeter something like Llanbedr?? This birth might be his (though the registration would have had to be quite quick!)

Births Mar 1846
          Meredith James Crickhowell 26 321

Crickhowell includes Llanbedr Ystradwy and Llanbedr

Comment

I'm guessing he married Susan, as in 1901 it states his POB as Lampeter (there wasn't a Swansea one).
            1891, rather unhelpfully, just says Wales.
            1881 says Swansea.

Struggling with 1871, though he married in 1869. Susan and their first daughter are in Cornwall with her younger sister. No sign of James though. He's probably off selling somewhere. Could be the Radnor one, though he's down as a stone mason.
            Last edited by Orangeblossom; 26-01-09, 22:15.
            Tracy

Comment

Lampeter was a registration district in its own right from 1837 through to 1936, according to GENUKI.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Lampeter is Llanbedr Pont Steffan in Welsh. It's not near Crickhowell, but it was a registration district until 1936.

Ideally you ought to be able to find him 1851 as that's the one closest to his birth and would be filled in by parents who ought to know!

Comment

Thanks to all of you.
                  The James Meredith is the one married to Susan. He was a seaman from a teenager when he ran away as his parents were going to sell him! He disowned them and would not speak of them, so have no idea who they are or if he had siblings.That is why I want to get a birth cert. or record.
                  Lampeter says there is no record and neither a marriage or baptism there.
                  I know of his whereabouts in Stithney(Porthleven).
                  He was shipwrecked off the Lizard on a boat called Elisa and that's how he arrived in Porthleven. He was taken in by the fishing folk. Taught net making, which became a trade ,making green house netting etc. He married a Porthleven girl, who taught him to read and write.
                  Many thanks for the help.Lesley

Comment

Do you have his marriage cert? If so, does it say who his father is and what his occupation was?
                    Tracy

Comment

Of absolutely no use at all, but the net making he was taught was for making fishing nets.

Porthleven was and still is, a fishing village, so he was possibly off fishing when missing from the census.

EDIT: Just wondering if the two Nell found in 1881 were actually the same man enumerated twice?

OC
                      Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 27-01-09, 12:25.

Comment

I wonder if he changed his name after he ran away? Seems like he wanted to break all ties with his parents.
                        Tracy

Comment

Not sure if there may be a link further down the line but i have Merediths from Shropshire
                          Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

On FreeBMD there are only 3 Meredith events recorded for Lampeter, the first being in 1868. I'm not sure what the significance , if any, of that is but the family presumably don't originate from there. I was also wondering whether he might have changed his name or other details.

There is this record on TNA which may be of interest. I don't know what would be in the record even if it is your James

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Image Details

The date is very similar to his dob but I've no idea where Trefondland is - it doesn't seem to exist.
                            Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Orangeblossom View Post
                              Do you have his marriage cert? If so, does it say who his father is and what his occupation was?
                              Yes have marriage cert. His father John was an iron puddler on it.
                              Lesley

Comment

I think I would have to get that TNA record that Night Owl found, even if it was only to eleiminate him!

I hope I don't sound rude, but I am wondering where you got the information from about him running away from home etc? Do you know the name of the boat he was wrecked on, or a likely year?

It just seems a bit odd to me that there are two men, same name, same age, both connected to the sea. Not impossible of course, they might have been cousins or completely unrelated! But it's niggling.

OC

Comment

My gt. grandfather said his parents were anna and John Meredith, so I presume he didn't change his name. He ran away as his parents were going to sell him. They used to frequent pups , play music and do card tricks. His marriage cert names father as John an iron puddler. I wonder if they were itinerant and so no record of a birth. I had wondered if there were lodging house records kept.
                                  The ship he was wrecked in off the Lizard was the Eliza. It must have been from 1865 -68. There is a record of the Eliza sailing from Swansea in 1866. I am still exploring this.He wasn't rescued by the lifeboat.
                                  He utilised his net making skills and branched out as a greenhouse net blind maker and travelled around the country - to Derby and Reading (after he married).
                                  The 1881 census records him twice I think, both at Porthleven with his family and as a seaman visitor to York - name, age and birthplace seem correct.
                                  I don't think he had anything to do with the Navy.
                                  I'll keep trying. Thanks to all. Lesley

Comment

Sorry to keep banging on Lesley, but a seaman would be a naval term surely? As it looks as if he was enumerated twice in 1881, then I think that seaman's record on the TNA must be his. It isn't necessarily a Navy record.

(I know it isn't funny, but who were they going to sell him to?! Most people had more than enough children of their own!)

OC
                                    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 28-01-09, 10:48.

Comment

i guess its possible his family were illegitimate, or they had a profession that would stop them being recorded in the census. maybe they were travellers or gamblers.

Comment

email from Karen murphy geneologist

I can see that James Meredith certainly had an interesting life - such movement for someone at that time!

Unfortunately I can't find any records whatsoever for James' early life and he doesn't seem to appear on either the 1851 or 1861 census with his parents.
                                        Curiously there is no birth record in the register in this name - I have checked between 1843 - 1851 for births in the surname of Meredith in the county of Cardiganshire (the county where Lampeter is) and there are no births registered in Lampeter at all. All but one of the births is in the town of registration district of Machynlleth and no-one has the christian name of James.

I did an independent search for John & Ann Meredith but as you'll no doubt know yourself, there are several records which could be the parents so this is no help either.

So I'm very sorry but I've drawn a blank.

As a consolation I don't know if you have this but I've enclosed the 1911 census showing James in his later life

regards Karen

Visit us at www.kmgenealogy.com
                                        email removed
                                        phone us removed
                                        Last edited by Caroline; 18-12-10, 06:59.

Comment

Working...
                                        X