Date/age/male Or Female

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date/age/male Or Female

Hi could anyone please date this photo for me and if poss tell me if the child is male or female.
    I do not have the original photo as this copy was sent to me in the post. The person sending it to me thinks it was my grandmother and her daughter which would have meant it was taken around 1923 - Im not so sure as I think it may be older?
    If it was my grandmother she would have also been pregnant at this time and died shortly after this photo was taken aged only 25.
    This lady doesnt appear to wearing a wedding ring - grandma was not married - and was a "servant" in occupation which I assume meant she maybe wouldnt have been the best dressed person around?
    Any clues very gratefully received!
    Cathie
    Attached Files

To me the woman's dress seems a bit long and 'old fashioned' for 1923. On the other hand I have photos of relatives as children dressed just like this in the 1910/20s.

It is impossible to tell if its a girl or a boy at this size - and probably very difficult anyway. I have a photo of my Dad (b 1919) in a lovely little dress and boots similar to this one!

Anne

Comment

Hi Anne
      Thanks for the reply. I suppose there is a possibility that it was my grandma then. Ive been researching family for my dad 84 as he was placed in an orpahange from birth and never knew who his parents/family were (they never married). I traced the family of his sister (poss one in pic) and her daughter sent me that pic saying they believed it was my grandma. I suppose the only other clue is Im the absolute double of her, curls the lot (and so is my dad) - It quite took my breath away when I received it. If it wasnt grandma then it must definately be her mother/siblings without a doubt.
      Thanks very much for your time
      Regards
      Cathie

Comment

The photo is a bit blurry so it is hard to be precise, but it is at least a generation earlier than 1923. I'm a 100% certain of that.....hope this helps.

Comment

sorry but there is nothing in this study that suggests a date line of the very early 1920's to me. Looking at the photograph the woman would appear to have her hair "fizzed" which was a style at least forty years prior to the date of 1923 whereas if it were a 1920's photograph I would expect to see a bob or Eton Crop. The style of clothing that she is wearing would also suggest an earlier date, with the high collar, bodice top and seperate skirt. Again if this were an image from the 20's I would be looking for a blouse and skirt combo rather than what is shewn here. Finally there is the photograph itself. With its black border, black deep base and card "look" it would be more in keeping with a CDV than a studio portrait of the 1920's. If you lighten the black base there is a name but I am unable to make it out as that part of the photograph needs to be a high resolutaion than at present as it gets too blurry when enlarged. Do you know if there is any photographers mark on the reverse of the card as this may help in dating the image. Date wise I would place this study as having been taking between 1883 and 1888/9.

don.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
            Don - I dont know if there are any photographers marks on the reverse Im afraid as there have been many copies and no one sure where the orig is - but I will try one of the other photo holders to see if we can find out.
            One theory was that it was my grandmother & daughter making the pic early 20s but seems thats a no-no now, the other theory was it may have been my grandma with her brother George but this would be abt 1917.
            The other clue Ive been told the pic had written on the back Miss Swain 21 Musparatt St - I do know the family didnt move to that address till 1915. I havent seen the writing (will make enquiries) so not sure if its the original.
            Miss Swain could have been my grandma who would have been 15 in 1917 holding her brother maybe?
            Do you have any idea the age of the young lady?
            Failing that it could be my great great grandma holding her son George which would be abt 1884 which may be nearer the mark??
            Ill have to check and see if I can locate the orig photo. As far as the "fizzed" hair Im afraid that is a family trait - my dad has it and I was born with it and Im in my 40s - thank goodness for hair straighteners is all I can say! ha ha!
            Regards
            Cathie

Comment

Cathie, I am positive like Don that this picture is way before 1917, I would agree with him that it is probably somewhere between 1880 and 1890. You might find it in teresting to look at Wikipedia fashions, each one covers a decade and you google the first year, ie, 1880......

Comment

P.S.......It has to be g.g.grandma..

Comment

Thanks Don/Barbara - think you're right - more like 1880s. Must be gg grandma then - its amazing how alike her I am!
                  Thanks very much for your info
                  Regards
                  Cathie

Comment

Working...
                  X